This article reviews the best air mattress for everyday use and provides you with an in-depth buying guide for air mattresses.
Air mattresses are not like the ones you sleep on at home. They need to be inflated, have a waterproof lining and come with an electric pump. Air mattresses are designed to be used outdoors for camping or indoors if you want to have a guest over.
An air mattress is also a great temporary solution for those who want to do some home improvement, renovations, or for camping. However, there are so many different types and brands of air mattresses available on the market that it can be difficult to find the best one for your needs.
There are also many things that you should consider before purchasing an air mattress. These include size, shape and material. There is no telling how you will use your new air mattress, so these considerations will help you find the perfect match.
In this article, we’re going to review the following air mattresses and give you a lot of insight into how to choose the right air mattress for you:
- King Koil Queen Size Luxury Raised Air Mattress
- Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam Airbed
- SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress
- Active Era Air Mattress
- Englander First Ever Microfiber Queen Air Mattress
Choosing the Best Air Mattress for Everyday Use
If you’re the social type, you’ll likely have guests stay over often, or you’ll be up and about camping. Either way, it’s an excellent idea to have an air mattress around.
Why air mattresses? How do they different from regular mattresses?
An air mattress is a type of mattress that inflate and deflate quickly, making them convenient for use in guests bedrooms, camping, or other situations where a bed is needed. Air mattresses come in different sizes, and can be constructed with or without a frame.
Air mattresses are inflatable mattresses that are used as temporary bed for one person. They work by having an air pump that is connected to the air mattress. They are a good choice because they are inexpensive, can be rolled up and stored, and can be used as a spare bed.
Many air mattresses are quite affordable. Technology has helped air mattresses to evolve in height, size, comfort, and quality, to even match a traditional mattress.
When choosing the best air mattress for everyday use, there are some factors to consider, such as what you need the air mattress for, what your individual needs are, or what your budget is.
Related: Best Mattresses in 2021
When you may need an air mattress
The outdoors offer great excitement, and more people are taking the time to enjoy the outdoors and the benefits it provides. These trips require campers to arrange for a place to lay their heads at night. Comfort is increasingly essential in the outdoors. Sleeping bags used to be the norm.
That is changing today with the growing use of air beds or mattresses.
Air mattresses provide extra support for anyone battling an aging body. It also caters to a physical make-up that does not permit sleeping on hard surfaces.
Air mattresses can be found in all shapes and sizes. Air mattresses are a bed that allows for comfortable sleep without the need for a frame or boxspring.
Air mattresses have created a pop-up sleeping mechanism that is appropriate for several different situations.
Consider a situation where you’re hosting guests, and your house is only a few bedrooms strong. An air mattress provides an option that offers good memories of sleep to your guests.
So, what do you look out for in an air mattress?
How to find the air mattress that will suit your needs
The best air mattress for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences.
Some people think that they are not comfortable because of their thickness. Others think that the air mattresses are comfortable because they do not make noise when you move and are bouncy.
Here are a few things to consider when choosing the best air mattress:
- The best models for the outdoors are those constructed from PVC (Polyvinyl chloride) materials. PVC models last longer and withstand elements like rain or heat exposure.
- They are often raised higher off the ground and contain additional measures for back and body support.
- If instead, you’ll be using the mattress for household purposes, say for when guests are around. Then laminated vinyl options will work just fine. Additional threads, so they are safe.
- The vinyl models may contain the internal pump or hand pump measure due to the connectivity element present in the home setting. They attempt to replicate the effects of a mattress and can offer benefits that no couch could.
- These models sit close to the ground, most only inflating to around 15 inches above the ground. It would be less of a bother for children than adults since they weigh less and can create an even weight distribution with less effort. The size allows two bodies or more to sleep comfortably, and the cost is less than that of a sleeping bag.
- Some people prefer air mattresses that are heavier, offer more support, and are more durable. These air mattresses are usually more expensive. Other people prefer air mattresses that are lightweight, easy to store, and inexpensive. These air mattresses can be punctured easily and don’t offer much support.
Price ranges and materials from which air mattresses are made
The prices of air mattresses vary depending on the size and brand of the mattress. The prices of air mattresses can range from $40 to $600.
- The most pricey air mattresses can cost as much as hundreds of dollars. A higher price does not always mean a superior airbed, better air pressure, more comfort, and so forth. The reason for the fluctuating price range in air mattresses is the materials that go into producing them.
- Laminated vinyl is the preferred choice for most air mattress companies. Lamination helps to delay the material from stretching out or wearing down over multiple uses.
- Laminated vinyl is durable and protects against the elements while reducing puncture capability. You might have heard the myth that air mattresses often pop holes and become unusable. Yes, they aren’t resistant to sharp blades. They will, however, withstand pressures from rough and rocky terrain.
- Another sturdy and resistant material is PVC. This material is a joint agent in home plumbing. Air mattress models that feature PVC in their make-up will be a bit more expensive than laminated vinyl options. However, if you want a model that stands the test of time, go for one with PVC.
Power Source For Pumping Air Mattresses
- Built-in electric pump: Many air mattresses get power from a built-in electric pump that plugs into a mains socket.
- Battery-powered external pump: Others have a battery-powered external pump, running on four D-cells. Those powered by D-cells are lighter and do not require a wall socket or unsightly cables. They are often not able to fully inflate a mattress.
- Manual hand pump: Few come with a manual hand pump. The plug-in air pumps are the most powerful but are loud and heavy. Manual pumps can deliver a surprising degree of firmness unmatched by the former two described. Yet, they require a significant amount of physical labor to operate.
What are the air mattress size and dimensions?
- Air mattresses come in many different sizes and dimensions but they generally range from 4’x 6’ up to 8’x 10’. For example, some air mattresses are specifically designed for children who require smaller sleeping areas while others can support up to 300 pounds of weight.
- Most queen-sized air mattresses are approximately 60 inches wide and 80 inches long. Height is variable and is often a key selling point by manufacturers.
- For older or physically-challenged people having issues rising from a bed that’s too low to the ground, this is more important than price.
Does an air mattress hold air?
- An air mattress owes the majority of its quality assessment score to how reliably it holds air. It is the focus of most customer reviews.
- All beds (say most) come with disclaimers on how mattresses stretch on inflation. It is so you do not assume they are leaking when they lose their initial level of firmness.
- That said, many mattresses leak without stretching. It is hard to determine how airtight an air mattress is. Many come with a one-year manufacturer guarantee or warranty. Some are even two years. Others offer 90 days and give a few vinyl patches to cover up a puncture wound.
The Best Air Mattress For everyday use in 2021
King Koil Luxury Raised Air Mattress is luxury air mattress that will provide you with an experience of sleeping in a hotel. This mattress will provide you with the comforts of a high-quality sleep while still being affordable at everyday prices.
✅ The main features of the King Koil Luxury Raised Air Mattress:
This mattress features on their website that they are made with puncture-resistant vinyl and have less than 1% leakage.
The raised air bed also comes with a fitted sheet, 2 pillows, and 1 pillowcase.
You can choose to have it delivered assembled or unassembled, so it’s perfect for those who don’t have space for an extra piece of furniture in their home!
The International Chiropractors Association endorses King Koil’s air mattress.
Also, more than 3,000 customers on popular online shopping platforms have praised the high quality of this air mattress. It’s a trusted brand with an excellent reputation, feels like a real bed, and has a built-in pillow.
King Koil’s enhanced air mattress technology keeps your spine aligned through the mattress’ internal layering and air-filled coils.
It is slightly bigger than a traditional queen bed at 61 x 81 inches.
👍 Pros of King Koil Luxury Raised Air Mattress:
- The top waterproof quilt resists punctures.
- Built-in high-speed pump that’s quiet and easy to use comes with a long cord.
- Super easy to inflate and deflate – takes only four (4) minutes.
- Eco-friendly and durable PVC.
- It is extra-firm and has resilient coil-beam construction.
- It comes with a repair kit containing two patches.
- 1-year warranty.
👎 Cons of King Luxury Raised Air Mattress:
- More expensive than many other air mattress options.
- Manual valve provided for on-the-go use can leak.
- Low air retention.
The Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam Airbed is a four-sided, elevated airbed with a built-in electric pump. The secret to this mattress’s plush comfort is its beam design which provides even weight distribution and reduces the risk of sinking into the center area.
✅ The main features of this air mattress include:
This air mattress is a real queen-sized mattress that’s 22 inches tall. Have enough room if you settle on buying this.
Dura-Beam Airbed is suitable for everyday use. The cover material is a durable polyester fiber for improved comfort. It is the only airbed in its price range that features advanced design technologies (such as Fiber-Tech and Dura-Beam).
- Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam Airbed is an ideal choice for guests, camping trips, and other situations where you want to be off the ground but still have some cushioning.
The Intex Dura Beam Airbed has a waterproof flocked top that is soft to the touch and made out of 100% polyester material for extra comfort.
It includes an Airtight System which prevents any fluid or humidity from getting inside of the airbed, making it easy to clean up and maintain.
This mattress also includes a built-in foot pump for quick inflation, and its patented beam construction helps add stability as well as durability.
This airbed allows you to adjust the air to your preferred comfort level. Once inflated, it can remain so for up to 4 days without becoming flaccid. It might be the definition of great value for money. Duffel bags and AC power cables are part of your delivery.
👎 Pros of Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Deam Airbed:
- Quick and easy to inflate using a built-in electric pump.
- Flocked top is waterproof with indented sides.
- For added support, it has horizontal air chambers.
- Thick vinyl makes it durable.
- There is no need for sheets; you have soft locking on top of the bed.
👎 Cons of this air mattress include:
- A plastic smell which can be irritating to some (though it wears away after a few hours).
- Quite heavy at a whopping 21 lbs.
The SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress is a mattress that can fit in anyone’s bedroom. The product is made from two layers of coils and has a soft-to-the-touch cover. It also comes with an air pump so the mattress can be inflated in no time, with just a few puffs of air needed to inflate it all the way until it reaches full size.
✅ The main features of this air mattress include:
Its 40 air coils are the highest number in the industry. It is a comfortable and durable air mattress, that is easy and quick to set up.
The Dream Series is comfortable, with a thick water-resistant top to keep cold air rushes at bay.
The SoundAsleep Dream Series Air Mattress comes with a built-in electric pump, which allows you to inflate it with ease.
This mattress also has a smart air beam system that keeps your mattress at the perfect firmness.
- High air retention; no leaks or pinholes observed.
- Longer lifespan and higher weight capacity due to more robust material – multilayered 15 gauge PVC.
- Non-sliding sure-grip bottom.
- 1-year warranty on all defects.
- Best customer service.
- Can feel a tad too firm for the body.
- A short cord is attached to the built-in pump.
This air mattress can be an excellent choice for guests and occasional use at home, but it won’t be able to handle the rigors of everyday life for long.
Active Era Air Mattress is a lightweight inflatable air mattress that you can use with a pump to inflate in minutes. It comes with a carrying bag and is durable too. This mattress is great for camping trips, short-term house guests, or just in case of emergencies. It weighs only around 5 pounds and inflates in minutes using the included pump.
✅ The main features of this air mattress include:
The carrying bag makes it easy to store when not in use and it includes a patch kit should you ever need it as well as an air valve plug which allows you to completely deflate it at will.
Active Era Air Mattress is a well-priced queen-size model that has a decent height and feels as though it’s a proper bed and not a makeshift mattress.
It comes with a built-in electric pump for hassle-free and fast inflation and a switch for quick deflation. What’s even better if you don’t have access to the electrical outlet the bed offers, you a manual valve for a manual pump.
Active Era Interior comprises of 35 structured coils built to support your body and ensure that the bed doesn’t sage during the night. It’s designed with durable, water-proof, multilayer, flocked, 15-gauge, puncture-resistant material.
Many people love Active Era Air for its heavy-duty feeling and firmness when inflated. The top layer is made from flocked material of softness to provide you with friction so that your sheets don’t slide off in the middle of the night.
- Pillow style top.
- Durable materials.
- Easy to deflate via a simple switch.
- Built-in electric pump.
- Manual pump option.
- Fitted with 35 structured coils for support.
- There have been a few reports of leakages and lumpiness after a few months of use.
The Englander First Ever Microfiber Queen Air Mattress is the perfect balance between comfort and portability. It is the perfect travel companion for those who want a good night’s sleep after a long day of travelling. The Englander First Ever Microfiber Queen Air Mattress is especially convenient for campers and backpackers since it can be compressed to fit inside backpacks or tents.
✅ The main features of this air mattress include:
The Englander First Ever Air Mattress is the first mattress of its kind to be made from all-natural microfiber. The material is durable, allergen-fighting and cool in summer and warm in winter.
The microfiber not only protects your bed from puncture, damage, and abrasion, but it also makes your bed stronger than your typical traditional mattress. The microfiber is also great for heat regulation, so you won’t sleep hot or cold.
Surprisingly, the mattress only weighs 17 pounds, making it convenient for outdoor activities. Inflation and deflation are stress-free since the mattress comes with a built-in pump that allows the entire bed to reach its full size within 2 minutes.
- Weighs only 17 pounds.
- It’s a waterproof mattress.
- Super soft microfiber exterior.
- Designed for everyday use.
- Comes with a 5-year warranty.
- The motor pump produces a lot of noise.
Choosing the best air mattress for everyday use is quite easy if you know what to consider. As an outdoors person or someone who’ll be spending time away from home for a while, an air mattress could be more of a necessity than a luxury. Identify the factors that matter to you. Such factors include price, comfort, manufacturer pedigree, overall design, comfort, and air leaks.
You must buy an air mattress you will enjoy using. Compromising on something that matters to you merely because of the price will hurt you more than you know. Take a look at these air mattresses again and choose the best one you can use every day.
Here are some other mattress options and reviews you might be interested after reading this:
Chris was a psychiatrist and neurologist with board certification in sleep medicine Clinical Associate Professor at the University of California. For over 10 years, he served and helped patients at Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital with their sleeping disorders.
After suffered from sleep disorders for years, Chris has been passionate about sleep health ever since. He wants to help others sleep better and wanted to make the world of sleep easy to understand for everyday people.