Bamboo pillows have exploded in popularity in recent years due to bamboo’s amazing utility as a fabric. Bamboo pillows offer several benefits over traditional pillows and many companies have hopped onto the bamboo train.
Of course, you may have questions. Why bamboo? What are the benefits of bamboo? What are the best bamboo pillows? In this article, we will answer these questions and more. Below is the list of the top 8 best bamboo pillows in 2020 and a complete guide on how to choose one. Without any further ado, let’s get to it.
In this article, we’re going to review the following Bamboo Pillows:
- Editor’s Choice – Coop Home Goods Premium Memory Foam Bamboo Pillow
- Budget Option – Ontel Miracle Memory Foam Bamboo Pillow
- Best Value – Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Adjustable Bamboo Pillow
- Best Slim Bamboo Pillow – Xtreme Comforts Slim Memory Foam Bamboo Pillow
- Best Charcoal Bamboo Pillow – Cariloha Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Pillow
- Best Memory Foam Gel Bamboo Pillow – Clara Clark Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
- The Classic Bamboo Pillow – Sleepsia Adjustable Bamboo Pillow
- Best Luxury Bamboo Pillow – Plixio Shredded Memory Foam Pillow 2-Pack
Bamboo Pillow Buying Guide
Why Do We Use Bamboo?
We know what you are thinking, bamboo? How could a wood make a comfy pillow? Technically, these pillows use the fibers of the bamboo plant, which shares many similarities to other kinds of plant fibers used in clothing and bedding, such as cotton or wool (pieces of bamboo wood have indeed been used as pillows throughout history, but that’s a story for another day).
Bamboo fiber is a useful material because it is very durable, eco-friendly, and excellent at wicking away moisture. Bamboo fibers have been measured as having similar strength to conventional glass fiber and have antifungal, antibacterial, and hypoallergenic properties. Further, bamboo fibers are very soft, smooth, and long-lasting. These properties make bamboo fiber an extremely useful material for sheets and bedding.
Bamboo textiles have seen a recent surge of popularity in the West, but bamboo-based textiles have been around since as early as ancient China. The first known bamboo fabrics were actually used as paper and later became a common and cheap method to manufacture clothing, shoes, and other textiles, in addition to the uses of hard bamboo wood.
Recent developments in the manufacturing of bamboo fibers have caused the bamboo cloth market to expand rapidly. The affordability and availability of the fabric saw its use in more products as a comparable alternative to soft fabrics such as cashmere.
Strictly speaking, a bamboo pillow is not made entirely of bamboo. Most bamboo pillows have a memory foam body and a bamboo fabric pillowcase. Some bamboo pillows are made with more traditional materials, such as cotton and feathers.
What are the Benefits of Bamboo Pillows?
Bamboo pillows have many benefits over traditional cotton or feather pillows. Here are just a few of the benefits of bamboo pillows.
- Bamboo is a natural antimicrobial agent so it prevents the onset of mold, fungus, and bacterial growth
- Bamboo thrives under natural conditions and so is generally not treated with pesticides or chemical treatments.
- Bamboo fabric is extremely breathable due to the unique shape of its ultra-fine fibers.
- Bamboo cultivation is environmentally sustainable and resource-efficient. It grows much faster than cotton or other fibers and does not require nearly as much water.
- Bamboo is a natural disinfectant and has a neutral odor
- Bamboo fibers readily absorb water, keeping you cool and dry while you sleep.
- Bamboo is hypoallergenic and so is recommended for people with asthma and other allergies.
- It has a feeling comparable to silk or cashmere but is much easier to maintain than either of those fabrics.
Disadvantages of Bamboo Pillows
Bamboo is not perfect though. Some disadvantages of bamboo pillows include:
- Bamboo pillows can be a bit more expensive than conventional options.
- Because bamboo fabric absorbs water well, it can be a bit difficult to dry.
- Bamboo fabrics tend to bit a bit heavier and can wrinkle easily.
- Bamboo fabric may not go through the washer very well. It is recommended to clean it with a dryer.
- Bamboo pillows take some time to expand to full size.
Overall, the benefits of bamboo pillows outweigh the disadvantages, making them a smart choice for virtually any kind of sleeper.
How Do You Wash a Bamboo Pillow?
Bamboo is a bit finicky in the wash, so here is a guide on how to most effectively wash your bamboo pillow.
First things first, your bamboo pillow may have a slightly funky smell when first opened. Don’t immediately toss it in the wash, though. Instead, give it a day or two to air out and disperse the smell.
If you want the absolute best results, you should always try to hand wash your bamboo pillow cover. Fill a sink with lukewarm water and allow the cover to soak for a few minutes. Add in a small amount of gentle detergent and rub it in by squeezing the cover. Try to keep the water lukewarm during this whole process.
Once you have thoroughly washed the detergent out of the pillow, place it flat on a surface out in the sun and let it dry for a few hours. You should generally never put your bamboo pillow in the dryer, or if you do, put it on the absolute gentlest setting for no more than 15 minutes.
Our Top Picks
1. Coop Home Goods Premium Memory Foam Bamboo Pillow – Editor’s Choice
First up is this plush hypoallergenic memory foam bamboo pillow from Coop Home Goods. Made from a mix of memory foam and microfiber and covered with a bamboo-derived viscose rayon polyester, this pillow provides an excellent mixture of cushion and support for promoting restful sleep.
All Coop Home Goods products are third-party tested and are CertiPUR-US certified to ensure safety and quality. The unique adjustable design gives full access to the memory foam filling which you can remove or add to achieve the desired thickness. The covering is 100% dust-resistant and hypoallergenic, so those with allergies can sleep easy.
Best of all, the manufacturer offers a 100-day return policy. If you are not absolutely satisfied, you can return the pillow for full price, no questions asked. Each pillow also comes with a lengthy 5-year warranty.
- Adjustable memory foam filling
- Bamboo-derived viscose rayon fibers are very breathable
- 100-day return policy
- 5-year warranty
- Requires periodic fluffing to keep shape
- Takes time to break-in
2. Ontel Miracle Memory Foam Bamboo Pillow – Best Budget Option
Up next is this memory foam bamboo pillow from Ontel. This pillow is filled with plush shredded memory foam and features a cover made from 40% viscose bamboo and 60% polyester. This soft pillow excels at molding to fit the natural shape of the head and neck and is adjustable so you can sleep comfortably in any position.
Like most bamboo pillows, the Ontel is 100% hypoallergenic and dust resistant. The ultrafine fibers effectively wick away moisture, keeping you cool and dry during the night. The pillow itself is designed to be placed on its side as well for extra fluffy support. This makes it double as an excellent sitting pillow while reading or watching TV.
The Ontel is a bit heavier than some other pillows, coming in at a solid 3 lbs. Like most memory foam bamboo pillows, it does not handle in the wash very well and so should be hand washed. Best of all, it is very affordable, at just under $25. When it comes to a budget bamboo pillow, you really can’t go wrong with this choice.
- Very affordable
- Can be placed on the side or edge for different sleeping positions
- Thick and firm
- Materials are not amazing quality
- Heavy and a bit bulky
3. Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Adjustable Bamboo Pillow – Best Value Bamboo Pillow
Up next is the Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Adjustable bamboo pillow and with a name like “Snuggle-Pedic”, you know it’s going to be good. The Snuggle-Pedic is filled with cushiony shredded memory foam and covered with a 43% viscose bamboo 56% polyester cover. Unlike many other bamboo pillows, the Snuggle-Pedic is completely machine washable. All materials used are CertiPUR-US certified to be safe, non-toxic, and environmentally friendly.
The Snuggle-Pedic has a removable zipper cover that makes for easy washing. It is hypoallergenic and dust-resistant and has a comforting orthopedic shape to promote good posture and relaxation while sleeping.
The Snuggle-Pedic has an excellent mixture of cushion and support and the bamboo/polyester cover does a great job of wicking away moisture and dispersing heat. With the new removable cover and liner, you can adjust the amount of memory foam to achieve desired levels of support. It comes with a 120-night money-back guarantee and an industry-leading 20-year warranty plan. The Snuggle-Pedic has been named the best memory foam bamboo pillow from several publications and comes in three sizes for standard, queen, and king-sized mattresses.
- Available in 3 sizes (standard, queen, and king)
- Machine washable
- 120-day money-back guarantee
- Incredible 20-year warranty
- Zipper to the interior can come loose
- While it technically is machine washable, it will last longer if hand-washed
4. Xtreme Comforts Slim Memory Foam Bamboo Pillow – Best Slim Bamboo Pillow
Voted the best bed pillow by The Wirecutter, this slim memory foam bamboo pillow from Xtreme Comforts does a great job of mixing the cushion & support of a thick memory foam in a thin & easily carried pillow.
The Slim is a great travel pillow as it is only 4 inches thick and under 2 lbs. The cover is made from Xtreme Comforts Kool-Flow Microvented tech and bamboo fibers to provide superior airflow and breathability.
The ultra-deluxe premium quality memory foam molds to the contours of the head and neck and the pillow can change orientation for side and stomach sleepers. The Xtreme Comforts slim bamboo pillow is great for those with muscle and orthopedic problems and reduces symptoms of insomnia, migraines, poor blood circulation and snoring.
Like all good bamboo pillows, the Slim is 100% hypoallergenic and dust-resistant. The microfiber covering does an excellent job retaining moisture without getting waterlogged. All of Xtreme Comforts use Certi-PUR certified materials that meet strict content, emission, and durability standards. The manufacturer offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 6-year warranty.
- Slim and thin, only 4 inches thick
- Kool-Flow fibers keep your head cool and dry
- Good for those with orthopedic problems, insomnia, poor circulation, and muscle injuries
- Good price/quality ratio
- Might be too thin for some
- Quality control seems to be hit-or-miss
- Pillow may have a strange chemical smell for the first few days
5. Cariloha Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Pillow – Best Charcoal Bamboo Pillow
Coming in at 5th is the Bamboo Charcoal Memory Foam Pillow from Cariloha. This pillow is set apart from its competitors by the inclusion of a charcoal-infused memory foam that fights odor, moisture build-up, bacteria growth, and fungal growth.
The cover is made from a 300 thread-count material with a layer of 100% bamboo fibers in the center. The high thread count gives the cover a soft texture similar to silk or cashmere, while the layered cover takes advantage of the properties of memory foam and bamboo fabric. The cover itself is removable and machine washable, though handwashing is recommended.
The Cariloha is a bit more firm than some other memory foam pillows, which is why it is good for those who need extra support and firmness. The firm and tall design are good for side-sleepers and those who have wide shoulders. It is rather heavy for a pillow at just over 4 lbs and it is a bit on the pricier side. However, if you have the money to spend, the Cariloha is a great option that has one of the more unique designs of bamboo pillows covered on this list.
- 3-layer construction gives it a lot of support
- Charcoal-infused memory foam neutralizes odor and prevents moisture buildup
- High-thread count (300TC) cover is very soft and smooth
- On the pricier side of things
- Quite heavy
- Might be too firm for some
6. Clara Clark Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow – Best Memory Foam Gel Bamboo Pillow
The cooling design of the Clara Clark Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow helps to reduce sweating and heat retention at night. The removable cover design makes cleaning the pillow easier. The cover is also hypoallergenic, making it perfect for people with allergies. With a selection of bamboo, the cover provides more effective resistance and mildew and mold.
The pillow comes in two size options, including standard and queen. The supportive interior uses memory foam to contour its shape for a better fit underneath your head.
- Shredded foam inside
- Cover is removable
- Two sizes available
- Cooling design
- It says “stain-resistant” but it still needs to be periodically washed
- Some people respond negatively to the scent of the gel memory foam
7. Sleepsia Adjustable Bamboo Pillow – The Classic Bamboo Pillow
When allergies are keeping you up at night, then the Sleepasia Adjustable Bamboo Pillow is your ideal solution. The hypoallergenic design of this pillow provides a reduction in allergies during sleep. The pillow comes with an included cover, which is made from bamboo materials.
Bamboo is known to be naturally hypoallergenic and also more resistant to dust mites. This means your pillow remains more hygienic as well. Additionally, the bamboo material selection also means the pillow is resistant to both mildew and mold.
The cover can be easily removed from the pillow and features a machine-washable design. This makes it easier to keep your pillow cover clean. The stain-resistant design of the pillow also means it will last longer. Two pillows are included in this package, providing better coverage for a larger bed. It also adds better value when sleeping with a partner.
The king-size of the pillows gives you a larger sleeping surface for your head. Breathable fabrics are used in the design of the cover and pillow. This helps to provide a cooling effect underneath your head, ensuring heat does not build up and cause you to wake up in a pool of sweat during the night.
Gel fiber is used on the interior of the pillow. This material is known for its cooling properties. The responsive, yet the plush feel of the gel fiber creates a contouring effect that supports your head, neck, and shoulders.
- Super soft feel
- Gel fiber filling on the inside
- Breathable cover included
- Cover made from bamboo
- Hypoallergenic design
- Might be too firm for some
- Pretty smelly when first unpackaged
- Machine washing on hot can cause the memory foam to lump together
8. Plixio Shredded Memory Foam Pillow 2-Pack – Best Luxury Bamboo Pillow
The Plixio Shredded Memory Foam Pillow Pack features a hypoallergenic design. The double pack gives you two pillows, contributing to better value for your money. A removable cover is added to the product, which makes washing easier and faster. The cover is made from natural bamboo materials. This means no need to worry about mold or mildew.
The shredded foam on the inside adds responsiveness to the pillow, while also providing pressure relief features. The pillow helps to improve the alignment of your neck, head, and spine. It also offers support for your shoulders.
- Cooling features
- Cover is hypoallergenic
- Queen size
- Memory foam filling
- A bit thin and flattens over time
- Memory foam takes a few days to expand
- Factory smell, should go away in a few days
So which bamboo pillow is the best? The top choice of our roundup is the Coop Home Goods Premium Memory Foam Bamboo Pillow in virtue of its excellent price/quality ratio, adjustable memory foam interior, 100-day money-back guarantee, and incredible 5-year product warranty.
So there you have it, the top 8 best bamboo pillows of 2020. As always, the right bamboo pillow is a matter of personal preference, one that fits your unique desire for comfort, support, and cushion. If you have never tried a bamboo pillow before, we highly recommend it. It just may open you up to a whole new world of sleep.