If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the Best Egg Crate Mattress Topper is, then we recommend the LUCID lavender-infused foam topper as the best one.
Good sleep is dependent on a lot of factors, including your mattress topper. To help you get a better night’s sleep, we’ve reviewed egg crate mattress toppers and created a list of our favorite picks.
Want to know which one is the best egg crate mattress topper? Read on.
In this article, we’re going to review the following egg crate mattress topper:
- LUCID Lavender Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Duro-Med Foam Bed Topper
- Zinus Swirl Gel Memory Foam AirFlow Topper
- Linenspa Gel Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Linenspa Convoluted Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper
What is an Egg Crate Mattress Topper?
First, let’s talk about what an egg crate topper is and if it’s the best option for your sleep needs.
There are several types of mattress toppers available. But the egg crate mattress topper, also known as convoluted foam, is easy to distinguish due to its design. As the name suggests, an egg crate mattress topper resembles egg cartons. Over the years, the pattern of egg crate toppers has changed a bit, but traditionally, they look identical to the inside of an egg carton.
You might be wondering if there are any benefits to the unique pattern and if it improves your sleep. The design of an egg crate mattress topper, which many describe as “peaks and valleys,” helps improve airflow. Depending on your comfort preferences, you can either lay the topper on its flat side or put the bumpy side face down.
Egg crate foam is available in a variety of foam types and density, which I’ll discuss a bit more in-depth shortly. Let’s take a look at the potential benefits of using an egg crate mattress topper.
The Benefits of Using an Egg Crate Mattress Topper
Here are some potential benefits of having an egg crate mattress topper on your bed.
Extends the Life of a Mattress
High-quality mattresses are a worthy investment but not always in everyone’s budget.
If your current mattress is uncomfortable and you’re starting to wake up with an achy or stiff back, an egg crate mattress topper may help you extend the life of a mattress that’s just “so-so.”
Everyone deserves an excellent night sleep that leaves them feeling rejuvenated. An egg crate mattress can help you get better sleep regardless of the state of your mattress.
Transform Any Mattress
Whether you’re headed to a week-long retreat or going home for the holidays, you might want to consider bringing an egg crate mattress topper. Most egg crate style toppers are lightweight enough to stow away and carry. You might get a few strange looks, but everyone can relate when it comes to good sleep.
Why risk sleeping on a mattress that your body isn’t used to and know that you’ll toss and turn trying to get comfortable? Similar to extending the life of your mattress, a mattress topper can improve the comfort and support of nearly every mattress.
Less Pain and Better Air Flow
Whether you suffer from chronic pain or occasional back or joint pain, your discomfort can interfere with how well you sleep. Egg crate foam has a long history as a specialty cushion in hospitals to prevent bedsores or to reduce pain after surgery.
Pressure can limit blood flow and aggravate pain or cause skin ulcers in people with limited mobility. So, the egg crate design to reduces pressure.
Another reason why some people experience interrupted sleep is that they get too hot. Memory foam mattress toppers have a lot of advantages, but one common complaint is that they retain body heat.
The upside is a memory foam topper with an egg crate design is comfort and reduced heat retention. An egg crate topper has better airflow, which means you’re less likely to wake up in the middle of the night feeling overheated.
Things to Consider When Choosing an Egg Crate Topper
Before you select an egg crate topper, there are a few things to pay attention to. There are some factors to consider:
● Foam Thickness: Most toppers range from 1.5 to 4 inches in thickness. The thicker foam tends to last longer and supports more weight. Choose a foam thickness that’s comfortable to you and keep in mind that you will be using on top of a mattress.
● Cost: The cost of a mattress topper doesn’t always reflect quality. Keep in mind that if you buy a “bargain” topper, you’re likely to replace it sooner than later.
● Do You Need New Sheets?: Mattress toppers are a welcome addition to most people looking for a good night’s sleep. It’s important to consider if you need to buy new sheets. If you choose a thicker topper, you will likely need a fitted sheet with deeper pockets to accommodate your mattress and topper.
Our Top Picks
Looking for a mattress topper that is comfortable and promotes a sense of calm? The LUCID memory foam topper is infused with lavender to help improve your sleep. Studies suggest that the scent of lavender can help promote relaxation and help you fall asleep faster.
While the LUCID doesn’t have a traditional egg crate design, we consider this one of the best egg crate mattress toppers on the market. The two-inch memory foam topper has a unique design and texture. It focuses on five areas of your body and reduces pressure on different contact points.
The mattress topper is available in six mattress sizes from twin to California King. The textured design creates better airflow, which will help you sleep more soundly.
- Calming lavender scent to promote good sleep
- Five contact points to relieve pressure from areas like your hips and shoulders
- Two-inch foam provides good support and comfort
- Better airflow than traditional memory foam toppers
- Variety of sizes
- Three-year warranty
- Foam thickness may not be thick enough for some users
- Cracking or splitting may occur where design pattern changes
- The lavender scent may be overpowering
The Duro-Med foam topper is lightweight and have the traditional “peak and valley” design. The foam topper is versatile and perfect for all types of sleeping situations.
The Duro-Med foam topper is available in seven sizes which include 33 x 72-inch with two, three, or four-inch foam or 33 x 76 x 4-inches. Larger foam two-inch foam toppers are available as 50 x 72, 56 x 78, or 78 x 78-inches. The weight of the topper depends on the size, but the smallest topper weighs approximately 14 ounces (0.4 kg).
The Duro-Med topper is easy to set up and is ready for use shortly after you unroll it from the packaging. Since it’s not a memory foam egg crate topper, you don’t have to wait for it to decompress completely.
- An excellent option for medical conditions or a hospital bed in your home
- Versatile and portable
- Even weight distribution and airflow
- Available in a variety of sizes and foam thickness
- Foam thickness may be uneven after fully decompressed
- Approximate size
- Some users complain that the topper feels “too spiky”
The Zinus swirl gel memory foam topper is available in standard mattress sizes from twin to king. Whether you want a thin or thick topper, this foam topper comes in either one and a half, two, three, or four inches.
The egg crate pattern allows for optimal airflow. The mattress topper includes active charcoal, green tea extract, and castor plant oil to help reduce bacteria growth and odors.
The mattress topper contains more natural ingredients than other gel-cooling foam toppers. Thus, it’s important to let the topper completely decompress before you put it on your bed. Letting the topper open up will ensure maximum comfort and get rid of any odors.
- Four sizes and foam thickness
- Fits under standard or deep-pocket fitted sheets
- Natural ingredients to reduce odor, moisture, and bacteria
- Five-year warranty
- Topper size may not reach all sides of the mattress
- May not provide enough cooling
- Users who are sensitive to smells may have issues with topper odors
The Linenspa Gel Infused Memory Foam topper doesn’t have a traditional egg crate design. But it has many of the same comfortable and supportive features.
This flat design and cooling gel design is an excellent option for people who want the support and comfort of an egg crate but don’t like the feeling bumps.
The memory foam topper is available in either two or three-inch foam and fits all bed sizes from twin to king, including twin XL or California king. The foam is thick enough to support a variety of body types, so you can expect support for several years.
- Seven mattress size and two thickness options
- Lightweight and easy to set up
- Cooling gel foam to reduce overheating
- Some users report uneven foam
- The foam may not be thick enough
- Too thick for regular sheets
- Foam might need trimming to fit mattress
Weighing less than five pounds, the Linenspa Convoluted Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper has a classic egg crate design with cooling gel integrated into the foam. The design allows for optimal airflow and breath-ability.
The Linenspa mattress topper is available in either two or three-inch foam and in twin, full, queen and king (including California king and twin XL). You should be able to use it on your mattress without purchasing new sheets. Keep in mind that it depends on your mattress as well as the thickness of your mattress topper.
The Linenspa has a traditional “peak and valley” egg crate design. Thus, the bumps are a little less pronounced, so it might be a more comfortable option.
- Excellent airflow with cooling gel in the foam
- Available in uncommon sizes like Twin XL and California King
- Thick enough to support heavier users
- Either side is comfortable to sleep on
- May need trimming to fit a bed
- Some users complain of splitting and breaking apart
- Shorter egg crate bumps can reduce airflow
The Best Egg Crate Mattress Topper
Choosing the right mattress topper is often an overwhelming experience. Especially since egg crate mattress toppers have improved and evolved over the years.
The winner in this best egg crate mattress topper review is the LUCID lavender-infused foam topper. Lavender is a great addition, and I love that it helps promote relaxation after a long day.
If the lavender scent is too much for you. Check out our second favorite topper, Linenspa Convoluted Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper.
Chris was a psychiatrist and neurologist with board certification in sleep medicine Clinical Associate Professor at the University of California. For over 10 years, he served and helped patients at Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital with their sleeping disorders.
After suffered from sleep disorders for years, Chris has been passionate about sleep health ever since. He wants to help others sleep better and wanted to make the world of sleep easy to understand for everyday people.