If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the Best Foundation for Memory Foam Mattress in 2021 is, then we recommend the Zinus Moiz Solid Wood Platform Bed Frame With Slat Support as the best one.
When it comes to alleviating back pain and achieving a restful night’s sleep, few things are as effective as a good memory foam mattress. Memory foam mattresses are made out of a high-impact high-density foam that is designed to mold to the natural contours of the human body, minimizing movement/stiffness and maximizing comfort.
However, just as important as your memory foam mattress is the foundation you put it on. A good memory mattress foundation (or frame) helps you get the most out of your mattress and keep it in good condition for longer.
Of course, the market is swamped with such products so it’s hard finding the right foundation. Fear not dear reader, for we are here to shine a light on your path in this metaphorical forest. We have scoured the web and put together this list of the top 5 best foundations for memory foam mattress available now. Without any further ado, let’s get to the good stuff.
In this article, we’re going to review the following foundation for memory foam mattress:
- Zinus Moiz Solid Wood Platform Bed Frame With Slat Support – Editor’s Choice
- Zinus Shawn SmartBase Mattress Foundation – Best Value
- Classic Brands Instant Foundation Box Spring Replacement – Best Budget Mattress Foundation
- Olee Sleep Metal Platform Foundation – Best Metal Platform Foundation
- Classic Brands Affordamatic 2.0 Adjustable Bed Foundation – Best Adjustable Foundation
Memory Foam Mattress Foundation Buying Guide
Why Do I Need a Foundation?
You might be thinking, “I just dropped a ton on a cushy memory foam mattress, why should I shell out for an expensive frame as well?” The answer is simple: A good foundation will increase your sleeping experience and make your memory foam mattress last longer.
Memory foam on its own won’t do you much good; it needs a solid foundation to distribute the force from your body. Mattress foundations are made to buttress the critical points of a mattress so it best supports a sleeping person. The best foundation for memory foam mattresses also adds an extra level of stability, necessary for those who move around a lot when sleeping or those who sleep with a partner.
Further, keeping your memory foam mattress on the ground can make it degrade faster. When your mattress is laying flat on the ground, it does not get any ventilation on the bottom, which makes it harder to get moisture and dust out. Continual contact with the floor can cause fraying and tears, and cause the mattress to lose its original shape.
Lastly, a tall enough foundation gives you some extra space under the bed, which can be useful if you are tight on storage space.
Types of Foundations
While all mattress foundations essentially do the same thing, there are different types that are best suited for different mattresses.
Box springs are rigid frames typically made up of a wooden or metal material covered in a thin layer of fabric. In the past, box springs often contained actual metal springs, but this is much less common nowadays. A box spring can be used alone or it can be used in conjunction with another foundation. Box springs are favored because they are relatively cheap, light, and easy to transport.
- Good for: Most types of mattresses. Heavier memory foam mattresses may need a sturdier base, so check to see what the manufacturer recommends. Most bare bed frames are designed to be used with a box spring.
A platform foundation is a solid flat platform with reinforcing bars across the entire bottom. The mattress goes directly on the platform and the crisscrossing bars support the length of the mattress, making something like a box spring unnecessary. Platform foundations are relatively tall, so they are good if you need some extra storage under your bed. Most platform foundations are made out of either wood or metal and require some assembly on purchase.
- Good for: Most kinds of mattresses. Again, the heavier the mattress, the more sturdy the foundation you need.
Slatted foundations are made out of a wood or metal frame with planks of wood or other materials laid across the center. Slatted foundations vary greatly in height so they can afford som under-the-bed storage. They also provide good airflow to the underside of your mattress.
- Good for: Most types of mattresses, memory foam in particular. Some memory foam requires a certain amount of space between the supports under the mattress and they are very sturdy. They are also relatively easy to assemble and transport.
Like a platform foundation, a solid platform foundation is an elevated flat surface you place your mattress on top of. Sold foundations have a solid flat surface instead of one with reinforcing bars. As such, sold platforms tend to be the most sturdy and durable kinds of bed frames, but they also tend to be on the more expensive side.
- Good for: Heavy thick memory foam mattresses that need extra support. The solid base does cut off some of the airflow to the bottom, so they may make the mattress get hot easier.
Adjustable frames, as the name implies, can be adjusted to the desired height/shape/elevation. Adjustable frames are best for people who have moderate to severe sleep problems and can be adjusted to manage injuries and conditions like snoring, sleep apnea, or high blood pressure.
Obviously, adjustable frames can cost a lot of money, but if you have bad sleep problems, then it may be worth the purchase.
- Good for: All mattresses, memory foam in particular as it is a bit more malleable than other kinds of mattresses.
What to Look for When Choosing The Best Foundation For Memory Foam Mattress
So, What Are The Top 5 Best Memory Foam Mattress Foundations Of 2021?
1. Zinus Moiz 14-Inch Solid Wood Platform Bed Frame With Slat Support – Best Overall Mattress Foundation
The beautiful slat mattress foundation is made from 100% natural pine wood with a 5.75” frame and 6.25” of under bed clearance. The plywood slats attache to the frame via non-slip tape (included with the purchase) and eliminate the need for a separate box spring. The Zinus Mois also comes in Twin, Full, King, and Queen sizes so no matter the mattress you can find a frame that will fit.
The Zinus Moiz is highly favored as its extremely easy to assemble, among other features. The over 6” clearance provides plenty of ventilation to the underside of the mattress and the slats are close enough that a heavy memory foam won’t sag and lose its shape. As its made of wood, the frame has a tendency to creak after continual use.
- Beautiful 100% wood construction
- Very easy to assemble
- Great support for memory foam
- Wood can get squeaky
- Splinters are always a possibility with wood
2. Zinus Shawn 14-Inch SmartBase Mattress Foundation – Best Value Mattress Foundation
Starting off our list is the SmartBase Mattress Foundation from Zinus Shawn. This platform foundation is made of a solid steel frame and features 12 inches of clearance, perfect for extra storage needs. With the Zinus, you don’t need a box spring and can place your mattress directly on the platform. The base itself is made to connect to SmartBase headboard brackets, sold separately.
The Zinus provides an excellent level of support and multiple points of contact to ensure stability and prevent mattress sagging, a huge problem with memory foam. Each leg is capped with a soft plastic tip to prevent scratching and facilitate ease of movement. Best of all, Zinus Shawn offers a 5-year warranty on purchase so you can rest easy when buying.
- Sturdy steel frame
- Great price/quality ratio
- 5-year warranty included with purchase
- Options for attachable headboard
- Headboard sold separately
- A bit heavy
3. Classic Brands Instant Foundation Box Spring Replacement – Best Budget Mattress Foundation
Up third is this box spring replacement foundation from Classic Brands. Available in both wood and metal, there is also the option to choose between high and low profile versions that sit high and low to the floor, respectively. The Classic Brands combines the best of a platform foundation with a box spring. It is elevated from the floor, providing good ventilation, but it is light and easy to transport like a box spring.
The foundation can be assembled in minutes and is very well built. The wood fibers have a tendency to expand over time, so you need to make sure you tighten the bolts effectively when assembling.
- Metal and wood version available
- High and low profile versions
- Very easy to assemble
- Platform/box spring combo
- Wood parts squeak
- Bolts can loosen as wood expands
4. Olee Sleep 14-Inch Metal Platform Foundation – Best Metal Platform Foundation
Next on our list is this 14-Inch metal platform foundation by Olee Sleep. The platform metal design eliminates the need for a box spring and the 14” under the bed clearance provides ample storage space and ventilation. The legs of the frame are positioned slightly under the carriage, so you won’t accidentally smash your feet or shins against them, a common (and painful) occurrence with metal bed foundations.
The Olee Sleep requires no extra tools to assemble and can be put together in 10 minutes by a single person. This makes it very easy to disassemble and transport. It is also relatively light for a metal frame.
- Lots of under the bed clearance
- Legs are positioned out of the way
- Very sturdy and little space between slats, great for memory foam support
- Metal can squeak
- No available headboard attachment
5. Classic Brands Affordamatic 2.0 Adjustable Bed Foundation – Best Adjustable Foundation
As the name would imply, the Affordomatic 2.0 Adjustable Foundation is an adjustable frame from Classic Brands. The entire frame is built to hold up to 660 lbs and works great with any kind of mattress, memory foam, innerspring, and latex. The best part is the Affordomatic 2.0 comes with a remote that can wirelessly adjust the elevation and shape of the frame.
The Affordomatic is a bit pricier than the other offerings covered on this list but is relatively low-cost as far as adjustable frames go. If you have the money to burn and need something complex that can handle many different sleeping positions, this one’s for you.
- Affordable, as far as adjustable frames go
- Wireless remote lets you adjust with the touch of a button
- Decent under bed clearance
- 3-year warranty at purchase
- A bit on the pricey side
- Heavy (100+ lbs)
- Electronic parts can break if not taken care of
So where do we stand? In our opinion, the clear winner of our roundup is the Zinus Moiz Solid Wood Platform Bed Frame With Slat Support due to its beautiful wood aesthetic, great price/quality ratio, and ease of assembly. The Zinus Moiz works great with any kind of mattress, memory foam included.
At the end of the day, a mattress foundation is a necessary part of getting a good night’s sleep. Don’t let your sleep suffer from having a poor foundation.
Chris was a psychiatrist and neurologist with board certification in sleep medicine Clinical Associate Professor at the University of California. For over 10 years, he served and helped patients at Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital with their sleeping disorders.
After suffered from sleep disorders for years, Chris has been passionate about sleep health ever since. He wants to help others sleep better and wanted to make the world of sleep easy to understand for everyday people.