Here is our expert review of the best hybrid mattresses to buy in 2021.
Adults are supposed to sleep between seven and nine hours each night. There are many things that can affect your ability to fall asleep or give you a poorer quality of sleep. Your mattress is one of the important things to consider. A mattress that does not offer the right support can adversely impact your sleep.
The best hybrid mattress combines the sturdiness and support of an innerspring system with the comfort provided by an all-foam design. This may be the answer to those sleepless nights. In this post, you will discover the best options that you can choose from.
What Is The Best Hybrid Mattress?
- Best Hybrid Mattress Overall – Amerisleep AS3 Hybrid
- Best Cooling Hybrid Mattress – Zoma Hybrid
- Best Hybrid Mattress for Side Sleepers – Vaya Hybrid
- Best Hybrid for Couples – Saatva
- Best for Split Firmness – Nest Alexander Signature Hybrid Mattress
- Best Luxury Mattress – WinkBeds
- Best for Heavier People – Helix Plus
- Best for Extended Trial – DreamCloud
- Best Cooling – Brooklyn Bowery
- Best for Comfort – Big Fig
Best Hybrid Mattress In 2021 – Reviewed
Even though hybrid mattresses are still a relatively new invention on the market, quite a large number of companies have already designed their own version. This does make the process of finding one that is suitable for you more difficult.
Some hybrid mattresses are able to offer superior support, durability, and comfort than others. We filtered through some of the top rated ones on the market. We looked at several factors, including materials, construction, support, and pricing. This allowed us to present you a list of the eight options you should look for when you want to buy the top rated hybrid mattress.
1. The Best Hybrid Mattress Overall - Amerisleep AS3 Hybrid
Click the button below to check the latest deal.Check latest price
If you are looking for a high-quality hybrid mattress with the perfect balance of comfort and support, we recommend the Amerisleep AS3 Hybrid. The 3-inch Bio-Pur® comfort layer is highly responsive and immediately molds to the curves of the body to reduce pressure points. Since Bio-Pur® is made with plant-based oils, this foam is also eco-friendly, non-toxic, and more breathable than traditional memory foam varieties.
Beneath the comfort layer is a base of pocketed spring coils. Each coil is individually wrapped to ensure accurate contouring and pressure relief. This base is zoned to cushion sensitive areas, like the hips and shoulders. However, along the back, the coils provide maximum support to keep the body lifted and aligned during sleep. This stable base prevents muscle tension in the lower back so you wake with less pain and stiffness.
- The combination of a plush foam comfort layer and zoned spring coil base gives the AS3 Hybrid a medium firmness.
- This firmness is perfect for sleepers who tend to toss and turn during sleep or for couples with different sleep styles and body types.
- A 1-inch layer of support foam sits beneath the spring coils for shock absorption and durability. Like all Ameisleep mattresses, the AS3 hybrid comes with a 100-night sleep trial and 20-year warranty covering manufacturing defects that could affect the support of the mattress.
2. The Best Cooling Hybrid Mattress - Zoma Hybrid
The Zoma Hybrid has a gel memory foam comfort layer with a medium firmness. The gel microbead infusion in this foam pulls heat and moisture away from the surface of the bed, keeping it cool and inviting throughout the night. In addition to breathability, Zoma’s comfort foam is also conforming and offers just the right amount of compression to keep the joints protected from pressure points.
Beneath the comfort foam is a layer of Zoma’s Reactiv™ foam, a latex-like response layer that keeps the hips from sinking too far into the mattress and forcing the spine out of alignment. This additional support layer makes the Zoma Hybrid perfect for heavier sleepers who often experience too much sinkage on a medium mattress.
- Supporting both of these layers is a base of pocketed spring coils.
- Unlike traditional innerspring mattresses, Zoma’s coils move separately from one another, rather than as a unit.
- This design allows the Zoma Hybrid to contour more accurately and limit motion transfer.
- The Zoma Hybrid comes with a generous 10-year warranty covering any manufacturing defects.
- They also include a 100-night sleep trial to give you plenty of time to test out the mattress and make sure it is right for you.
3. The Best Hybrid Mattress for Side Sleepers - Vaya Hybrid
The Vaya Hybrid is our pick for the best value hybrid because, for just under $700, you can get a high-quality, supportive queen size hybrid mattress. This is a great price considering that most queen size hybrids are upwards of $1000.
The top layer of the Vaya Hybrid features 3-inches of their unique comfort foam. While this foam is soft and flexible, it also has a natural buoyancy that gives it a slight bounce. This elastic quality makes the Vaya Hybrid perfect for those with back pain because it ensures the heaviest parts of the body don’t sink too far into the bed and cause tension build-up.
- The base of the Vaya Hybrid features individually wrapped coils, each coil is tuned to provide support near the lumbar spine and more compression near the joints to alleviate muscle tension.
- This base also has very little motion transfer, which is perfect for couples with different sleep schedules or those who frequently toss and turn.
- The Vaya Hybrid comes with a 100-night sleep trial, allowing you to test out the mattress and make sure it is right for you.
- Vaya’s 10-year warranty will ensure the mattress is repaired or replaced if there are any manufacturing defects.
4. The Best Hybrid for Couples - Saatva Mattress
Our top selection is the original Saatva Mattress, a hybrid option that is able to provide a balanced combination between foam and springs. The mattress does not use just a single spring system like the majority of other hybrid models that are available on the market. Instead, this particular hybrid mattress uses two different types of innerspring systems to add a superior level of support to the product.
At the base of the mattress is a more traditional innerspring system.
On top of this system, the Saatva Mattress features individually wrapped coils. This helps to add better edge support to the mattress, while also reducing motion transfer. The reduced motion transfer makes this a great choice for couples too.
The Saatva Mattress comes in three different firmness levels. You can select between soft, medium, and firm – depending on your weight, sleeping position, and preferences. The mattress is handcrafted within the United States, ensuring you get a high-quality product that will help you experience an improvement in sleep.
A Euro Pillow Top is added to the surface of the mattress. This helps to create a luxurious feel to the mattress, which is soft and comfortable. There are also several foam layers that ensure the mattress has appropriate contouring features.
This means the mattress is able to adapt to your body, without making you sink into the foam layers.
- The mattress features an organic cover, which is both breathable and sustainable.
- This makes the Saatva mattress a great option for people who are looking to be more environmentally friendly with their purchases, while also giving you the ability to sleep cooler at night.
5. The Best Mattress For Split Firmness - Nest Alexander Hybrid Signature Mattress
Nest Bedding’s Alexander Hybrid Signature Mattress features one of the only split firmness options on the market, particularly when it comes to looking at buying the best hybrid mattress. The split firmness is ideal for couples with different preferences when it comes to how firm they prefer a mattress. There are several split firmness options, as well as single firmness options when buying a bed that is smaller than a king size.
The mattress comes with a 100-night comfort guarantee. This allows you to experience the mattress for yourself before deciding if your investment is worth it. If you do not like the mattress, simply ask the manufacturer for a refund. You also get a lifetime warranty, ensuring factory faults can be fixed at the expense of Nest Bedding.
The Nest Alexander Hybrid Signature Mattress is an eco-friendly option. This means you are able to enjoy an environmentally-friendly solution that is able to still provide you with the comfort you are looking for.
- At the upper part of the Nest Alexander Hybrid Signature Mattress, there is a layer of gel infused memory foam.
- The product also includes super soft quilted thermic phase change fabric.
- This fabric is able to contribute to a reduction in temperature within your bed. It helps you sleep cooler at night, enhancing the overall quality of your sleep.
- At the bottom, there is a layer of Quantum Edge Zone coils. Each of these coils has been individually pocketed. This is a 16-gauge coil system. It adds support and durability to the mattress.
6. The Best Luxury Mattress - WinkBeds
The next option on our list is the WinkBeds Luxury Hybrid Mattress. This is a mattress that prioritizes the luxurious experience that many people are looking for in these products. The manufacturer has spent a lot of time to ensure they are able to bring a luxury mattress to the customer.
This is a hybrid mattress that perfectly combines foam and an innerspring system. This means you get the comfort that comes with an all-foam mattress. At the same time, you are also offered the support that is generally expected from an innerspring mattress.
The WinkBeds Luxury Hybrid Mattress focuses on breathability too. The materials used help to improve airflow within the mattress. In turn, this means there will not be an excessive accumulation of heat inside your bed at night. A cooler mattress means you will fall asleep faster and sleep better.
- There are a few different firmness options that you can choose from when you buy the WinkBeds Luxury Hybrid Mattress.
- This includes a softer, luxury firm, firmer, and plus option. The firmness ratings range from 4.5 to 8.
- The purchase of the mattress is accompanied by a 120-night risk-free trial offer. You also get a lifetime warranty.
- This means your purchase is protected against factory defects and significant sagging for as long as you sleep on the mattress.
7. The Best Hybrid Mattress For Heavier People - Helix Plus
If you are looking for a mattress that is able to provide support for heavier people, then the Helix Plus might be just what you need. This mattress was made to support bigger and taller people. It is also a great option if you need superior comfort with an excellent level of support.
The Helix Plus offers a 13-inch height that combines both foam and a coil system. Four-pound high-density foam is used as the primary supportive material in the mattress. This is what makes it such an ideal option for heavier people. The mattress uses the best foam density that is available in its class.
The mattress offers a medium feel. It offers body contouring that is able to ensure the mattress takes the shape of your body when you lay down. The mattress also features Tencel temperature regulation. This helps to reduce the risk of waking up sweating at night, by ensuring heat is transferred away from your body.
- Wrapped coils are used in the base layer of the Helix Plus mattress.
- This adds edge support to the mattress. It also helps to make the mattress more supportive.
- Read our full Helix Mattress Reviews here.
8. The Best Hybid Mattress For Extended Trial - DreamCloud
The DreamCloud mattress was designed to focus on giving you exceptional comfort, while also providing an innerspring feeling. This is great for people who like the feeling of a more traditional mattress, but would also benefit from the advantages that come with a foam sleeping system.
One of the main features of the mattress is the extended trial. Most companies allow four months to try a mattress out. Instead, the DreamCloud mattress comes with a full 365-night trial period. This means you have an entire year to test the mattress out. If you feel that it is not as comfortable as the manufacturer claimed, or you have any other problems with the product, DreamCloud will offer a full refund on your purchase.
- The DreamCloud Mattress uses premium materials to give you a more luxurious experience.
- A plush euro top is used at the surface of the mattress.
- This helps to add a push feeling to the sleeping surface.
- The coil system that is used in the DreamCloud mattress adds edge-to-edge support. It also helps to align your spine when you sleep.
9. The Best Hybrid Mattress For Cooling - Brooklyn Bowery
Many hybrid mattresses tend to have high price tags. This means people who are shopping on a low budget will not be able to get their hands on a hybrid mattress. Brooklyn Bedding has decided to change this. The company has developed a hybrid mattress that comes at an affordable price tag, giving you more value for the money you are looking to spend.
This is a multi-layered mattress that uses both foam and a spring system. The mattress offers a medium firmness level. This makes it a versatile option that is great for side sleepers, as well as other sleeping positions.
The Brooklyn Bowery mattress uses the brand’s unique Energex patented foam. Comfort foam is also used to help the mattress better adapt to your body. A bottom layer of high-density foam is used to assist in adding more durability to the mattress. Airflow is also a priority in the Brooklyn Bowery.
- The Brooklyn Bowery gives you access to a 120-night trial offer.
- There is a 10-year warranty period that also comes with the purchase of the mattress.
- Read our full Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Reviews here.
10. The Best Hybrid Mattress For Comfort - Big Fig
Bigger people often have a hard time finding a mattress that works for them. Big Fig is a mattress that was developed to overcome this obstacle – by introducing a hybrid mattress that is ideal for overweight and obese individuals. The mattress does not only focus on providing better support for bigger people. Additionally, the mattress also has a large focus on providing comfort for bigger people.
- The unique design makes this hybrid mattress a little different than some of the alternative options.
- It perfectly combines both comfort and support.
- The mattress also features ThermoGel Cooling Technology.
- This technology helps to provide improvements in keeping you cool at night.
- There is a quilted top as well. This adds a softer feeling to the top surface of the mattress.
The Best Hybrid Mattress Buying Guide
We have shared some of the best options that you can choose from when buying a hybrid mattress. These are still quite a few options that you need to look at and filter through. You may still feel a little confused – which one of these will be the right mattress for you?
To help you make a more informed decision, we decided to share a buying guide too. Here, you will gain more insight into what a hybrid mattress is and the specific features you need to look at when buying one of these products. This will help you understand the features that will give you a better night’s sleep. Consider the facts and tips we share below to help you find the best hybrid mattress.
What Is A Hybrid Mattress?
Understanding what a hybrid mattress is will help you determine if this is the kind of product you want to sleep on. Hybrid mattresses are still relatively new to the market. They are not as old as some of the more traditional options that you are going to find, such as the original innerspring mattress.
A hybrid mattress is essentially a dual sleep system. It combines two of the most popular sleeping systems that are available on the market today.
At the top of the hybrid mattress, you get a foam sleep system. This particular element is taken from the all-foam mattress designs that many people enjoy. The foam layers help to add comfort to the mattress, while also ensuring the surface is able to contour toward your body’s shape.
At the bottom you find layers of coil. This is essentially an innerspring system that is added to the mattress. Different types of innerspring systems are used in hybrid mattresses. Many companies are using wrapped coils. This includes a series of coils – often over 1,000 individual coils. Each of the coils is wrapped in a special type of foam. This ensures the coils are able to add the expected support to the mattress, without making the bed feel too firm or hard on your body.
There are a few hybrid mattresses that use a more traditional innerspring system instead. This can still be a great option, as the springs add support and durability to the mattress. Some of the more recent hybrid mattress options tend to combine both wrapped coils and a traditional innerspring system.
What Are The Benefits Of A Hybrid Mattress?
If you are not sure if a hybrid mattress is the right option for you, then learn more about the benefits of these furniture pieces. There are a few important benefits that you gain access to when you decide to invest in a hybrid mattress. By analyzing these benefits, you will be able to understand whether a hybrid mattress is the right choice for your bedroom.
We share a few of the most important benefits associated with hybrid mattress that you should know about below.
- Hybrid mattresses combine an all-foam design with an innerspring system. This means you get the contouring effects of a foam mattress. At the same time, you get the support that an innerspring system is known to offer. This means you really do get the “best of both worlds”.
- Hybrid mattresses are breathable, particularly due to the inclusion of an innerspring system. Many companies also use breathable materials at the top layers of the mattress. This means the mattress will not cause you to wake up in a pool of sweat at night. Instead, you are likely to find that you sleep cooler. Temperature has an impact on your sleep quality. A higher temperature may adversely affect your ability to have a good night’s sleep. By sleeping cooler, you may feel more refreshed in the morning.
- Motion transfer is not an issue with a hybrid mattress. With many other mattresses, it may feel uncomfortable to sleep on the same mattress as your partner. Hybrid mattresses are usually able to offer an excellent level of motion isolation. This means your partner’s motion during the night will not transfer to you.
- Hybrid mattresses are also known to be versatile options. There are a few different options that you are able to choose from. You can select a firmness level that suits you. Some of these mattresses come with springs, and others rather use individually wrapped coils. You can find one that perfectly matches your sleep needs and preferences.
- Many people find that the combination of two sleep systems in a hybrid mattress is able to provide a better alignment of their spine. This is great if you constantly find yourself getting up in the morning with backache or perhaps pain in your shoulder. These mattresses are able to help relieve these symptoms by improving your alignment when you sleep.
- Hybrid mattresses also offer excellent value. These are durable products that tend to last for a rather significant period of time.
- Edge support is another important benefit to note when looking at the advantages you get with a hybrid mattress. The use of a spring system underneath a foam design gives you better edge support. This means you get a larger sleeping surface.
Hybrid Mattress Versus Alternatives
You may wonder whether a hybrid mattress will offer you a better experience compared to an innerspring or perhaps an all-foam option. Many people find that the best hybrid mattress is able to offer them the comfort of an all-foam mattress, while also enhancing the overall support that is added. On the other hand, there are some people who still prefer the feeling of a non-hybrid mattress design. You should give this type of mattress a try to feel if it is the right option for you. Many of these products come with a trial offer – this ensures you can return the mattress if it does not help you sleep better.
What Is The Best Firmness Level For A Hybrid Mattress?
There are various firmness levels to choose from when buying a hybrid mattress. The firmness is primarily provided by the upper levels of foam used in the mattress. You should ensure you buy a firmness that accommodates both your weight and your sleeping position. The best hybrid mattress for side sleepers will be different from one that is good for people who constantly find themselves sleeping on their back or stomach.
Your weight is a particularly important factor to consider. Do not opt for a mattress that is exceptionally soft when you have a larger body weight. Here is a view on what the best options might be for you:
- If your weight is 130 pounds or lower, then you can consider a soft or medium mattress. If you sleep on your side, try to opt for a mattress with a three-to-five firmness rating. Side sleepers can go up to a six firmness rating.
- If you weigh between 130 and 230 pounds, then the minimum firmness you should opt for is a four. A medium soft option can be good if you sleep on your side. If you have a different preferred sleeping position, opt for a medium or medium-firm mattress. If you sleep on your back, a firm (8/10) firmness rating might be appropriate.
- People who weigh more than 230 pounds should not opt for a soft mattress. This will cause your body to sink into the mattress. If you sleep on your sides, then you can opt for a medium mattress with a five firmness rating. If you have a different sleeping position that you prefer, try to opt for a hybrid mattress with a higher firmness rating – between six and eight preferably.
How Long Does A Hybrid Mattress Last?
Hybrid mattresses are generally known to be quite durable. This is due to the addition of a spring system at the base of the mattress. Many companies also tend to use a foam material that is durable. This means hybrid mattresses are great value option – since they tend to last for a long period of time.
You should be able to sleep comfortably on a hybrid mattress for at least one decade. Many people will be able to use the hybrid mattress for much longer. To determine the expected lifespan of the mattress, take a look at the warranty that accompanies your purchase. This will give you an idea of how long the manufacturer expects the mattress to last.
How Important Should A Trial Offer Be For You?
When you shop for the best hybrid mattress, you will notice that a few companies are offering a trial with the purchase of their product. Many people fail to realize the importance of buying a mattress that comes with such a trial offer – this is especially important if you are new to the hybrid mattress design.
A mattress is a relatively expensive product. You obviously do not want to waste your money by investing in a mattress that is not going to help you sleep better at night. This is exactly where a trial offer comes in.
Several manufacturers that offer hybrid mattresses will give you a certain period of time to sleep on the product as a testing period. The majority of these companies offer a 100 to 120-night trial period. There are a few with longer trial periods. During the trial period, you are able to sleep on the mattress and determine how it performs. The manufacturer will offer a refund on your purchase if you feel unsatisfied during this period.
When there is a trial period available, make sure you read through the terms and conditions. There are a few fine print details with many manufacturers that you need to take note of. This may include a fee payable for the return of the mattress – or you might not be offered a full 100% money-back guarantee. Understand the terms before you make the purchase.
How Much Will A Hybrid Mattress Cost?
Hybrid mattresses are often considered to be some of the more expensive options that are available. This is because these mattresses use two different sleep systems. Both foam and springs are used in a single mattress.
The cost of a hybrid mattress depends on a few factors. Some brands are able to deliver a more cost-effective and affordable solution for people who are buying a hybrid mattress on a limited budget. Other companies tend to use specialized types of materials, but this may come at a larger cost.
Due to the price differences in hybrid mattress, start your shopping journey with a budget in mind. Look at how much money you are willing to invest in a hybrid mattress. A higher price tag generally means a better quality product – and one that may last longer. This is a long-term investment, after all.
Finding the best hybrid mattress for yourself can be difficult when considering the large number of companies offering these furniture pieces today. Hybrid mattresses combine two of the top sleep systems into a single product. This offers you several benefits, but you still have to filter through many options to find the one that will help you sleep better. Consider a few personal factors and look at hybrid mattress reviews. We shared a selection of the best options that are on the market to make the process easier for you.
Related: Top 12 Best Mattresses of 2021
Chris was a psychiatrist and neurologist with board certification in sleep medicine Clinical Associate Professor at the University of California. For over 10 years, he served and helped patients at Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital with their sleeping disorders.
After suffered from sleep disorders for years, Chris has been passionate about sleep health ever since. He wants to help others sleep better and wanted to make the world of sleep easy to understand for everyday people.