While most mattress reviews are going to focus on the benefits each one gives you so that you can achieve a full night’s rest, it’s time we talk about that other thing we do in our beds…
That’s right, this best mattress for sex review is going to get down to the nitty-gritty about sex.
Now, you may be thinking, “if I can sleep in it, can’t I have sex in it?” Well, the short answer is “no”, friend. You see, many of the same qualities that allow a mattress to be super beneficial for our sleep are the very same qualities that could be detrimental to our sex lives.
So, where’s the balance? That’s what we are here to answer. Luckily, there are mattresses on the market with that perfect balance between firm and cuddly, that have plenty of motion isolation but also a little bit of bounce.
We’re here to make sure you don’t sink into your mattress when you’re trying to rock the boat.
Here are the best mattresses for sex in 2020:
Best Mattress for Sex 2020 - Reviewed
1. Casper - Editor’s Pick
Casper is one of the most well-known brand names when it comes to bed-in-a-box companies because of its approachable pricing and high-end materials. While the Casper or the Essential mattresses may sink too much to be comfortable during sex, Casper now offers Hybrid options for those that need a bit of bounce and extra firmness.
What we love about the Casper Hybrid Mattress is that it still offers the zoned support system it is known for, as well as the pressure relief foam layer that gives every person a great night’s sleep – no matter their sleeping position. The additional individually-wrapped innerspring coils in the Hybrid version give you just the amount of bounce you need to have a bit of fun in the sack. These springs also add additional firmness than the all-foam Casper simply does not have. Additionally, the Hybrid version comes with additional edge support, so there won’t be any rolling off the side of the bed while romping around.
While sex is very important for any healthy relationship, it is also very important to ensure that both halves of a couple are getting adequate sleep. If you and your partner have different sleep positions, or one or both of you are combo-sleepers, this could be a challenge. You don’t have to worry about the Casper Hybrid mattress, as it is great for most sleeping positions.
Bonus: one of the issues with a traditional Casper mattress is that sleepers over 250 pounds may not feel enough support. That’s not the case with the Casper Hybrid version.
Read our full Casper Mattress Review here.
2. Nectar - Runner-up
Nectar’s standard mattress is one of the most popular memories foam mattresses not only for its cheaper price but also for its full-year 365-day trial period and lifetime warranty. With the Nectar Lush mattress – you are getting the same customer satisfaction guarantees that made the standard so popular. So, what’s different about the Lush version?
Well, the Nectar Lush is made of 12 individual foam and cooling layers that ensure not only a soft comfortable mattress, but also one that is cooling. If you tend to get a bit hot and heavy when fooling around – this mattress will ensure you aren’t sweating all night while you are trying to sleep. The aqua cool layer actually focuses on ensuring that heat isn’t trapped in the lumbar region – where heat is traditionally trapped in a mattress.
Better yet, the extra supportive layers give this mattress a firmness that the original version lacks, so you won’t feel like you are sinking into the bed when you are making love. This also means that those on the heavier side will have better luck with this version than they did with the original.
The only drawback that we would like to draw attention to with this mattress is that there are no innerspring coils or other materials that give it the bit of bounce that can make sexy time fun. If you would like a bit more bounce to your bed, you may want to keep reading this list to take a look at your other options.
Read our full Nectar Mattress Review here.
3. Purple - Best for Pressure Relief
The Purple mattress is the most innovative bed-in-a-box mattress on the market. While it isn’t for everyone, Purple gives you a floating feeling, instead of feeling cradled the way that traditional memory foam mattresses feel.
What is awesome about the Purple mattress is that the hyper-elastic gel polymer layer, patented by Purple, provides high-grade pressure relief in the areas you need it most; hips, shoulders, and joints. This means that you will get a great night’s sleep and improve your health at the same time.
This gel polymer is formatted in a web-like grid, meaning that there is a lot of airflows, as well as the polymer itself being very cooling. This is great if you run hot, or if you plan on some activity that could get your mattress a little heated.
Do you know what else is great for your health? Sex. And you won’t have to worry about sinking into the mattress with the Purple. As the Purple mattress isn’t composed entirely of memory foam, it doesn’t collapse under the weight of the average couple.
One drawback to be aware of: if you and your partner are on the heavier side, this mattress may not make you feel the most supported. It might be best to go with a Hybrid mattress with innerspring coils if this is the case for you.
Read our full Purple Mattress Review here.
4. Saatva - Best Innerspring Mattress
While this mattress is an innerspring mattress and not a memory foam based mattress like we often review on this site, you do not need to worry about installing this mattress in your home. While it is not a bed-in-a-box mattress, Saatva mattresses come with free professional installation in your home – so you don’t need to waste your energy dragging a mattress into the bedroom. Instead, you can conserve your energy for what you have planned for the bedroom later…
The two layers of innerspring ensure that you are in a comfortable position during sleep or sex, no matter what. The super sturdy edge support also helps ensure there’s no position that will collapse the edge of the mattress, and that your mattress lasts a long time. Better yet- no feeling like you’re falling off the bed after getting some well-deserved rest after your romp.
Saatva even takes differences in preference into account by offering three firmness levels – all with the same dual-coil system. We love a company that makes adjustments to its products to ensure that everyone has a great night’s sleep.
The only potential drawback to a Saatva mattress is the potential noise. While one of the coil layers is individually wrapped, anything with coils can cause more noise than a memory foam mattress. If your partner tosses and turns and noise keeps you from getting a great night’s sleep, you may have negative health consequences. Make sure to keep reading so that you can evaluate all of your options.
Read our full Saatva Mattress Reviews here.
5. Leesa - Best All Foam Mattress
Click the button below to check the latest deal.Check Latest Deal
If you and your partner love the feel of the memory foam mattress you are trying out, but are immensely frustrated when you try to have sex in it, the Leesa mattress is a great compromise. While this mattress is composed entirely of different foam layers, similar to other bed-in-a-box mattresses, the Leesa original mattress is specifically crafted of poly-foam that has more bounce and firmness to it than traditional memory foam.
If you try out the Leesa mattress during the 100-day risk-free trial and realize that you still need a bit more bounce, you don’t need to worry. Leesa also has a hybrid option available.
One of our favorite things about Leesa is that they are firmly committed to ensuring everyone gets a better night’s sleep. They are registered as a B-corp, and every mattress purchase helps fund their goal of ensuring everyone in this country has a comfortable place to sleep. What can be more romantic than going to bed and being reminded that you made an ethically sound purchase with your partner? Not much.
Read our full Leesa Mattress Review here.
6. Lucid - Most Affordable
Click the button below to check the latest deal.Check Latest Deal
If you are looking for a safe, durable, and affordable mattress, a Lucid latex mattress might be the perfect option for you. If you are a young couple just getting started on building your life together, or even a bachelor or bachelorette with active sex life, this is a great choice.
Not only do you get the firmness, stability, and bounce you need with a latex mattress, but you also get a mattress made of materials that won’t harbor bacteria the way that some other materials might. Latex is also ultra-cooling, so if you still live in a dorm room with no AC, a Lucid latex mattress is going to keep you cool at night while you cuddle with your partner.
What we really love about this mattress is that it is so affordable. This is a best-bet for people who are really looking to watch their budget but still want to improve their sleep and sex lives.
If you aren’t sold on the Latex but are looking for a more affordable mattress, this company has many more varieties than most. Be sure to check out their options to see if there is one that is a better fit for you.
Read our full Lucid Mattress Reviews here.
The Best Mattresses for Sex Buying Guide
What Should You Look for When Buying a Mattress Optimized for Intimacy?
- Bounce – The bouncier the mattress, the better the sex. This can be difficult when so many mattresses are geared towards motion isolation in order to achieve a more peaceful slumber. The best method here is to find a mattress with a bit of both to ensure you get the best of both worlds.
- Silence – Your kids, roommates, or neighbors don’t always need to hear you knocking boots. While most innerspring mattresses are going to squeak, you can find many that have individually-wrapped coils that ensure that you aren’t going to have that issue. If you find a mattress that you like that doesn’t have any coils, you won’t need to worry about noise at all.
- Maneuverability – If you can’t move around during sex because you are sinking into your mattress, you probably aren’t going to have a very good time. For this, you need to look at firmness ratings. You should also take your and your partner’s weight into account. Many all-foam mattresses cannot support heavier individuals, so when you double that weight with two partners it could mean catastrophe for your sex life.
- Edge Support – It is important to keep things spicy in the bedroom, and varying your positions is a great way to do that. However, you are going to have a lot of trouble pulling off that new sex move if the edge of the bed collapses under your weight. It is always important to look at edge support ratings when you are choosing a mattress that will optimize you and your partner’s intimacy.
- Comfort – The sex itself isn’t the only important aspect of sex. Aftercare is so important for couples to feel close and bonded. If you have an uncomfortable mattress, that isn’t going to happen. This is why it is so important to find a mattress with both bounce and comfort. When a mattress doesn’t have pressure relief or any squish at the top, many cuddling positions can be painful on the elbow and shoulder joints.
- Durability – Sexually active couples put a lot more strain on their mattresses than those who only get down to business on occasion. If sex is a major part of your life or relationship, you need to make sure you get a mattress that is highly durable. It is also important to spring for one that has a great lifetime or 10-year warranty. While it may be more expensive up-front, it will really save you a lot of money in the future.
- Cooling – If you are getting hot and heavy every night, there is nothing worse than sleeping in a pool of your own sweat – and your partner’s. Not to mention, it isn’t very good for you. It is important to ensure that your new mattress uses high-tech advancements that promote airflow and cooling. That way you won’t have to continue to feel hot all night while you sleep.
The Best Types of Mattresses for Sex
While we have provided you with a lot of options here, it is important to search through all the different options for mattresses and make a choice that is best for you. While the list above is a great way to get started, we do have recommendations for what the best types of mattresses are for sex and sleep.
Overall, when looking at any mattress brand, we recommend looking at the hybrid mattress version. While we gave you many different options on this list to make sure everyone regardless of preference or budget had an option that could work for them, hybrid mattresses are the best place to start for most brands.
A hybrid mattress is going to have all of the comforts of memory foam, while also having the firmness and bounce of an innerspring mattress, which will ensure lots of movement and fun in the bedroom. Given the criteria, we listed above, it’s easy to see why any hybrid mattress, regardless of brand, is going to be a good bet.
If none of the options appealed to you, we recommend finding a brand that you trust that may have some features that you need for a good night’s rest that you don’t see listed here and then looking at their hybrid option. While the hybrid beds are always a bit pricier than foam-only versions, we are confident the investment in your sexual health will be worth it.