- If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the Best Mattress Foundation is, then we recommend the Vaya Platform Bed as the best one.
Are you thinking about upgrading your sleep set and don’t know where to start! Don’t worry. We have developed this buying guide to help you find the best mattress foundation based on your needs.
Did you know, using the best mattress foundation under your mattress makes it lasts longer?
Many people think that a foundation is nothing more than a bedding accessory, but that is not true. Your mattress and its foundation go hand-in-hand. So, you need to pay a lot more attention to what kind of foundation you are buying for your mattress.
In this article, we’re going to review the following mattress foundation:
- Vaya Platform Bed
- GhostBed All-in-One Foundation™
- Zinus Shawn SmartBase
- Classic Brands Mattress Foundation
- Classic Brands Low Profile Mattress Foundation
- Zinus Justina Mattress Foundation
- Classic Brands Affordamatic 2.0
Also make sure to check Classic Brands Mattress review.
Things to look for before buying the best mattress foundation
Box Spring vs. Mattress Foundation
A mattress foundation is a metal/wooden frame that has a flat and sturdy board attached to the top. It provides your mattress with balanced support. You can directly place it on the bed frame right between the footboard and the headboard. Many people consider a box spring and mattress foundation are the same thing but they are different.
A box spring is a frame of wood or metal that features steel coils arranged in the form of a grid. Like the mattress foundation, you can place your mattress on this box spring for extra support.
The issue with a box spring is that it can damage the bottom of the mattress. Particularly if you use a foam mattress, this might void the warranty.
Mattress foundation benefits
The best mattress foundation should offer better support with extra durability. These foundations tend to last longer than any box spring. Apart from that, there are various other benefits of using the best mattress foundation. These are listed as follows:
- Mattress foundation can assist in maintaining the warranty of your mattress.
- It provides your mattress with extra support and improves its sturdiness. For this reason, you are able to sleep on it in a more comfortable environment.
- Your mattress won’t sag prematurely. There will be almost no instances of indentation when you use a good quality mattress foundation.
- A foundation also adds to the extra height of your bed frame. Mattress thickness tends to vary from 6-inch to 14-inch. Any less thick mattress will be swallowed by the bed frame. With the help of a foundation, this won’t happen and you will find it easy to get in and out of your bed with extra height.
- A foundation also prevents your mattress from displacing.
- It can reduce shock as well as reduce pressure.
- It can conveniently boost airflow through the bed.
- A foundation will also keep your mattress clean from any dirt or filth below.
Risks associated with low-quality foundations
You can identify the quality of a foundation by seeing whether it provides adequate support to your bed or not. If your foundation does not offer the right kind of support then it will make you feel uncomfortable. A decrease in sleep quality or back pain might involve when you buy a low-quality foundation for your mattress.
To get the most out of your investment, make sure that you match the quality and construction of your foundation with your mattress.
Points to remember when Choosing The Best mattress foundation
- You need to consider the type of mattress that you are using. For instance, if you have a memory foam mattress then your foundation needs to be solid.
- Make sure that your foundation is able to support the size and weight of your mattress.
- You must define the budget under which you need to make your purchase. If you are looking for a luxurious foundation then they will cost you more. But make sure that you don’t buy any cheap quality foundation or it will ruin your mattress.
- Always go for the foundation that is high quality built and is durable. It will not only last longer but will also provide extra support.
- Your mattress foundation also needs to be very easy to set up and must not include any complexities.
- You also need to consider the design and style of the foundation that you are considering. Most of them come with a bed skirt but some also come with a top-quality bed frame. It all depends upon how much are you willing to pay.
- Don’t forget to check the warranty before buying any foundation. Just make sure to check if the warranty only covers sagging or any other damage as well.
The Vaya Platform Bed stands 13 inches tall and provides a sturdy, sag-resistant surface for any mattress. It cannot be replaced for a box spring in a conventional bed frame and can only be used on its own as a platform bed. However, this means that Vaya took pains to make sure their foundation not only feels good, but looks good, too.
The Vaya Platform Bed consists of a hardwood frame and slats. The bed’s sides are covered in light grey polyester fabric to create a neutral piece that fits well in most bedrooms. Shoppers can choose a twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, or California king size bed frame.
The slats inside the bed frame are oversized, with extra width to minimize the number of slats needed to create a supportive surface. This design also minimizes the space between slats that can cause sagging, while still allowing air to flow between the slats and wick away unwanted heat and moisture.
When it comes to assembling the bed, there’s no need to dig out your tool box. The side rails simply slot into place, followed by the center support beams and the five or six slats that come with the bed (exact number depends on size).
The Vaya Platform Bed is backed by a 1-year warranty. It has an 800-pound weight limit, making it suitable for heavier sleepers.
- Slats are wide and thick, ensuring proper support
- Space between the slats encourages airflow
- Frame puts together within minutes
- Comes in six sizes
- Suitable for all sleeping styles
- Only available in one “look,” with no choice when it comes to color or wood type
- Cannot be used with an existing bed frame
The GhostBed All-In-One Foundation is one of our top picks for its versatility, with a metal frame perfect for all body types. The foundation can be set at different heights for shorter or taller sleepers. You can also pair the foundation with your choice of headboard and footboard for a more traditional look.
GhostBed’s foundation is a simple thing to slip into most bedrooms. The slip-on cover is grey and complements most bedroom styles and sheet sets. The foundation is offered in twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, California king, and split king sizes.
Setting up the foundation is easy, with five pieces plus the slats to bolt together. A wrench is included with the foundation, with no other tools needed. Once it’s put together, the foundation can be folded up for storage. The GhostBed foundation is backed by a 20-year warranty.
- Durable, all-metal framework
- Foundation supports up to 2000 pounds
- Foldable for convenient storage
- Available in seven sizes
- Excellent for all sleeping styles
- Neutral gray cover may seem bland to some sleepers
- All sales final on the foundation
This 14-inch mattress foundation can conveniently function as the frame for your platform bed. Apart from that, it can work as a replacement for your box spring. The foundation functions absolutely free of sound and provides you with a maximum amount of storage under-bed.
It is available in different sizes including King, Queen, Full, Twin XL, Twin, and Narrow Twin. You can either buy a standard version, a deluxe or a bed skirt.
For the installation purpose, you don’t need any tools or hardware. It will assemble in no time and will suit all average weight people of all ages. The construction involves frames and wires made of steel. It also needs brackets for SmartBase headboard.
- Fits all mattress sizes
- Easy to assemble
- Suitable for average-sized sleepers
- Available in five different sizes
- Comes with a 5-year warranty.
- Not ideal for heavy sleepers
This mattress foundation from Classic Brands works well for all mattresses with up to 8-inch in size. It is a suitable replacement for your box spring and is available in King, Queen, Full, Twin XL, and Twin sizes. You can also go for Cal King size if you want.
This foundation is available in two different profiles; wood and metal. Assembling won’t take more than 15 minutes. Just unpack the box, attach the hardware and place the slats on foundation.
It works well with all types of latex and memory foam. It will not allow your mattress to sag and will boost its durability for a long time to come.
- You don’t need any tools to set it up.
- Available in two different profiles made either of steel or wood.
- It can easily work with latex and memory foams.
- The foundation is highly durable.
- Comes with a 3-year warranty.
- Not suitable for mattresses more than 8-inch
This is another mattress foundation from Classic Brands. It doesn’t differ much in terms of features when you compare it with the 2nd entry on our list. The only difference is being 4-inch in thickness. The low profile design allows you to get in and out of the bed easily.
The foundation actually extends the durability of the mattress. You’ll get a noise-free and low-cost foundation for your high profile mattress.
Just like the previous entry, this foundation also comes in two different profiles and is available either in metal or wood. This foundation from Classic Brands is very simple to assemble. It won’t take any time to be ready.
The foundation will prevent your mattress from sagging and will also increase the life span of your mattress.
- This foundation is covered under a warranty of three years.
- Available in five different sizes.
- The setup of this foundation is very simple and it doesn’t need you to use any special tools.
- It is available in either low or high profile made of steel or wood.
- Suitable for all kinds of memory foam and latex mattresses.
- Sturdy construction.
- Not suitable for any mattress thicker than 4-inch.
You won’t need a box spring to use with Justina mattress foundation. It is available in six different sizes including Twin, Narrow Twin, King, Cal King, Queen, and Full.
The construction of this foundation involves 100% polyester and its height is 16-inches. The Zinus’ Quick Snap technology (patent pending) allows you to assemble it in 10 minutes without any sweats.
You won’t need any bed skirts because its legs and grey cover are attractive. You’ll only notice its 7-inch legs once you put on the mattress. Besides, this mattress foundation also comes with a 5-year warranty period. It is the best looking mattress foundation on the market. The 9-inch strong and sturdy frame acts as a solid base.
- Elegant design takes minimal floor space.
- No screws involved in set up.
- The construction of this foundation involves 100% polyester.
- Available in six different sizes.
- 5-year warranty.
- It is a bit tricky to put the cover on.
You can take control of the base by making adjustments to the head and the foot area using a remote control. This remote can either be wired or wireless. There is an option for you to consider a mattress foundation specifically for a gel mattress of 10-inch or 12-inch in size.
The foundation comes with a 3-year warranty. You can either use it with a bred frame or without it. This foundation is all about your convenience. You can easily bend the head or foot region according to your preferred height and enjoy reading booking or watching TV.
With the help of these adjustable positions, you can align your spine to your sleeping position and enjoy deep sleep.
- Suitable to use with adjustable mattresses/
- Easy to use and simple to set up.
- Adjustable head and foot positions with wireless remote control.
- You can either use it with a bed frame or without it.
- This is an expensive mattress foundation but beats the rest due to its separate foot and head elevation options.
All in all, the clear winner of this roundup of the best mattress foundation is the Shawn Mattress Foundation from Zinus. It is a handy foundation that works with all mattresses up to 14-inch thick. The foundation provides you with a floor clearance of 13-inch ideal for under bed storage. Its assembly doesn’t need any tools or accessories.
So which one of these have you used for your bedroom? Do you have anything to add to this information that we have provided here? Have your say by leaving a comment below!
Chris was a psychiatrist and neurologist with board certification in sleep medicine Clinical Associate Professor at the University of California. For over 10 years, he served and helped patients at Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital with their sleeping disorders.
After suffered from sleep disorders for years, Chris has been passionate about sleep health ever since. He wants to help others sleep better and wanted to make the world of sleep easy to understand for everyday people.