Here is our expert review of the best mattresses from different mattress brands to help you choose the best mattress for your specific sleep needs.
Now that we are spending more time at home than ever, making sure that our bedrooms are the perfect place to get some much-needed sleep is very important. Ensuring that you have the best mattress for you is the biggest part of the perfect sleep equation.
With so many different types of mattresses to choose from, it can be a bit overwhelming. However, we are here to help. We are going to show you the best rated mattresses from the top mattress brands online – so you can order one that will be the perfect fit. We’ll even give you a handy buying guide, so if any of our suggestions don’t suit you – you’ll still know exactly what to look for.
If you’re ready to stop wondering “what is the best mattress?” keep on reading.
What Is The Best Mattress?
Before we show you our 14 top rated mattresses – one for each category, we would like to give you quick and easy access to our buying guides – where you can find a list of all the top mattresses in each category. If you are really looking for a particular feature, one of these buying guides may have even more great information tailored to you.
Here Are The Best Mattresses in 2021 (in different categories and from different brands):
- Editor’s Pick – Amerisleep AS3
- Best Mattress for Active People – Zoma Mattress
- Best Value Mattress – Vaya Mattress
- Best Soft Mattress – Amerisleep AS5
- Best Innerspring Mattress – Saatva Mattress
- Best Hybrid Mattress – Nest Bedding Alexander Hybrid
- Best Cooling Mattress – Purple Mattress
- Best Cheap Mattress – Layla Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Memory Foam Mattress – Loom & Leaf Mattress
- Best Latex Mattress – PlushBeds Botanical Bliss
- Best Pillow Top Mattress – The WinkBeds
- Best Organic Mattress – Avocado Green Mattress
- Best Mattress For Heavy People – Titan by Brooklyn Bedding
- Best Firm Mattress – Leesa Legend Mattress
The Best Mattresses In Every Category In 2021 - Reviewed
1. Amerisleep AS3 Mattress - Editor's Pick
Amerisleep’s AS3 Mattress is our editor’s pick because it features plant-based memory foam, which is more breathable and more responsive than traditional memory foam.
It has a medium firmness that works well for most body types and sleep positions. This comfort level is also an ideal choice for couples with different firmness preferences.
Amerisleep’s unique Bio-Pur® foam is made with plant-based oils rather than 100 percent petroleum-based oils. This manufacturing process is more eco-friendly and produces a cleaner, more comfortable, and more airy mattress foam. While this Bio-Pur® contours to the body to relieve pressure points, it won’t cause overheating and uncomfortable night-sweats.
Beneath the top layer is Amerisleep’s Affinity foam with HIVE® technology. Across the surface of this material, hundreds of hexagonal cutouts ensure the lumbar spine is supported, and the joints are cushioned and protected from pressure points.
- The base of the AS3 features Amerisleep’s Bio-Core® foam, a stable support foam designed to prevent sagging and indentations.
- This material is strong enough to support the top layers of the mattress and ensure proper spinal alignment.
- Like all their mattresses, the AS3 comes with Amerisleep’s generous 20-year warranty and a 100-night sleep trial.
- With this trial, you can test out the AS3 in the comfort of your home and make sure it’s right for you.
2. Zoma Mattress - The Best Mattress for Active People
The Zoma Mattress is our runner-up for best mattress because the gel memory foam comfort layer and supportive spring coil base make this bed incredibly breathable, cool, and inviting.
The Zoma mattress offers sleepers a balance of cushioning and support that most back and side sleepers find comfortable.
The top layer features Zoma’s gel-infused memory foam, which helps to wick heat and moisture away from the bed’s surface. This layer also features their Triangulex™ technology—triangular-shaped cutouts that respond to different levels of pressure to keep you supported no matter which positions you sleep in.
- To ensure a proper spinal position, Zoma includes their Reactiv™ transition layer.
- This material is similar to latex in that it is elastic and has a slight bounce. Reactiv™ ensures the hips and shoulders stay lifted and aligned to prevent tension build-up in the back muscles.
- The base of the Zoma features their Support+ foam, a strong, stable foam that reduces premature sagging and indentations.
- They also include a 10-year warranty, covering manufacturing and structural defects.
3. Vaya Mattress - The Best Value Mattress
The Vaya Mattress is an affordable all-foam mattress with a medium firmness. This bed is versatile enough to accommodate different body types and sleep styles.
It is also compatible with most modern bed frames, including adjustable beds, slatted foundations, and platform beds.
The foam in the top of the Vaya contours closely to the body to relieve pressure and tension. However, this material is also elastic and helps sleepers feel lifted on the mattress rather than cradled. The buoyancy of this material ensures a safe, neutral spinal position.
- The Vaya base features a sturdy support foam to prevent structural damage, such as sagging and premature wear and tear.
- Both layers of the Vaya Mattress are wrapped in a soft, lightweight material that is soothing to the touch and increases circulation throughout the mattress.
- Each Vaya Mattress comes with a 10-year warranty and a 100-night sleep trial.
4. Amerisleep AS5 - The Best Soft Mattress
The Amerisleep AS5 is their softest mattress, perfect for side sleepers and petite individuals. This mattress has four supportive layers to ensure the joints are cushioned while the spine is kept in a safe, neutral position throughout the night.
The top layer features Amerisleep’s Bio-Pur® foam, an ultra-soft, non-toxic, breathable material made with plant-based oils. This layer cushions the areas of the body that bear most of your body weight during sleep, such as the hips and shoulders. With this soft layer, sleepers are less likely to develop painful pressure points.
Since some sleepers tend to sink on a soft mattress, Amerisleep includes a layer of their Active Flex foam just beneath the comfort layer. Active Flex is highly responsive and keeps the heaviest parts of the body from sinking and causing the spine to bow. For further protection against spinal misalignment, Amerisleep also includes a layer of their Affinity foam with HIVE® technology. This layer’s zoned support ensures the lower back is cradled and support, and the joints are cushioned.
- These three layers are supported by a base of Amerisleep’s Bio-Core® foam.
- This material is resistant to sagging and ensures you stay comfortable and supported throughout many years of use.
- The AS5 comes with a 100-night sleep trial, free shipping, and a 20-year warranty.
5. Saatva Mattress - The Best Innerspring Mattress
The Saatva mattress is one of the most luxurious mattresses on this list and is definitely one of our all-time favorites. The attention to detail and comfortability of this mattress is what earned it our spot as the best innerspring mattress in 2021.
Saatva is one of the top mattresses around, and for good reason. Its cover is made out of 100% cotton – which is comfy, cooling, as well as being better for you than mattress covers that are made of non-organic materials. Saatva puts this dedication to quality in every aspect of its mattress design.
Furthermore, Saatva is one of the few online direct-to-consumer mattress companies that offer different levels of firmness – so that you can choose the one that is best for you. A lot of mattress companies stick to a niche level of comfortability and firmness – but not Saatva.
Saatva is generally a more firm mattress in any of the firmness options, but for those who like comfortability – don’t be scared off. Saatva mattresses feature a plush European pillow top, so you can feel cradled while also feeling supported by the double layer of innerspring underneath – truly the best of both worlds.
While Saatva is going to be one of the more expensive direct-to-consumer mattresses out there, it is actually much more affordable to the comparable innerspring mattresses you would find from major competitors and mattress stores. Saatva offers that luxury quality at a much more affordable price-point, which is something all of us can appreciate.
If you are still wondering if you should take the plunge – consider this.
- Saatva is one of the most durable mattresses on this list. This means that you will get much more bang for your buck – while being more environmentally friendly in the process. Pretty good deal, right?
- If a Saatva mattress sounds like it could be the right choice for you, and you would like to learn more, check our Saatva mattress review.
6. Nest Bedding Alexander Hybrid - Best Hybrid Mattress
The Alexander Signature Hybrid by Nest Bedding is a hybrid mattress that comes in three firmness options when you order. You can even choose three different combinations of firmness so that you can make sure you always have the firmness level that’s right for you, whenever you need it. You see, Nest beds are “flippable” meaning you are able to flip them to change the firmness level (most hybrid mattresses are not flippable at all).
This feature can come in handy in a lot of different scenarios. Firmness preferences change due to weight gain and weight loss, pregnancy, injury, weather, and more. So making sure you always have the firmness option you need, when you need it, can help you always get the best night’s sleep you could possibly imagine. to ensure that you can have the firmness level that is best for you whenever you need it.
The Alexander Signature hybrid has the look and feel of a premium luxury hybrid mattress – without the price tag. That’s why it won its spot as our favorite hybrid mattress in 2021.
This mattress also features amazing edge support – which makes it a great choice for couples or for those that sit on the edge of their bed frequently to get ready in the morning, play video games from the bed, etc.
We also love this hybrid mattress because it is going to be a great choice for heavier sleepers. The innerspring inside ensures that heavier sleepers are always going to feel supported throughout the night – and they won’t have to worry about durability issues with the mattress, either.
It is important to remember that one of the ways that Nest makes their mattress so affordable while still being so nice is that they use memory foam as the comfort layer on top. Memory foam is more affordable than latex foam, but one of its downsides is that it locks in heat very easily. If you are someone who naturally sleeps very hot or you live in a warmer climate – this might not be the best mattress for you.
- It is also important to remember that this is a hybrid mattress – so it is going to have a higher price tag.
- While this is one of the most affordable hybrid mattresses on the market today, there are still going to be a lot of more budget-friendly all-foam mattresses available if you are on a strict budget or if you are someone who moves a lot and doesn’t usually bring their mattress with them.
- To learn about the Alexander Signature Hybrid by Nest Bedding and decide if its the right mattress for you, check our nest bedding reviews.
7. Purple Mattress - The Best Cooling Mattress
Purple mattress is one of the most popular and well-known mattresses out there. Their advertising campaigns are pretty ubiquitous, and they have a catchy name and branding. However, it can be confusing to know what purple is all about.
Purple mattresses are kind of in a category of their own. What we mean by this is that a Purple bed is not constructed quite like any other mattress on the market today. Purple has truly revolutionized mattresses, particularly bed-in-a-box direct-to-consumer mattresses.
To do this, they created something called the purple grid, which is a hyper-elastic polymer that is formed into a grid-like shape. This hyper-elastic polymer allows weight to be distributed evenly, making the bed supportive yet responsive. Because of the fast reaction time of the polymer, there is very little motion transfer from one side of the bed to the other, making this a great choice for easily-disturbed couples as well.
This grid-like shape allows a lot of airflow, and the polymer itself is also very cooling, which is how Purple earned our top spot as the best cooling mattress in 2021. If you are someone who sleeps hot and needs pressure relief – this mattress is going to give you the cooling airflow that you need in order to feel your best while you are sleeping.
- The only downside to Purple is that there are some complaints about edge support as well as the mattress being supportive enough for heavier customers.
- However, Purple does offer a hybrid option that has innerspring, as well. If you are someone who is worried about mattress supportiveness but loves the sound of a Purple mattress – the Purple hybrid might be the perfect choice for you.
- If you would like to learn more about Purple and if it’s the right mattress for you, check our Purple mattress review.
8. Layla Memory Foam Mattress - The Best Cheap Mattress
The Layla mattress is not only one of the most top rated mattresses on the market, but it is also one of the most affordable. As you will see, there are a ton of amazing features that will make you do a double-take once you see how low the price-point is.
The thermogel cover on the Layla Mattress and the copper-infused memory foam on the top comfort layers help it be one of the most cooling memory-foam based mattresses on the market. This is a big deal, as we have mentioned on other mattresses on this list, sometimes memory foam has a problem with staying cool at night.
The Layla mattress is one of the only memory foam mattresses that you can flip. Both sides have the same amazing features, except they have different firmness levels. One side is made for those who like a squishy memory-foam feeling mattress and a more comfortable feel, like being held like a cloud, and the other is designed for those who like a firmer feeling mattress.
- The copper in the memory foam layer does more than provide cooling. It also provides a reactive firmness, and it improves the circulation of the blood.
- Copper also happens to be naturally anti-microbial. The copper is an amazing addition that ensures that you will wake up feeling recharged and full of life.
- To learn more about the Layla mattress and see if it’s the best cheap mattress for you, check our review of the Layla mattress.
9. Loom & Leaf Mattress - Best Memory Foam Mattress
If you are looking for a memory foam mattress, but don’t want to skimp on luxury, quality, and amazing customer service, look no farther than the Loom & Leaf mattress.
All Loom and Leaf mattresses come with in-home installation and delivery, which is a very rare feature for bed-in-a-box mattresses. While this may not sound like a big deal, you will save yourself a lot of time and pain by using a company that includes home delivery and installation. Not only does this mattress come right to your door, it comes right to your bedroom with no extra charge.
Loom and Leaf mattresses are constructed of luxurious materials that some of the most highly-priced mattresses on the market are made of. These materials include the 100% organic cotton that is used to make the cover, and the organic foam that is manufactured right here in the USA.
- One of the reasons that Loom and Leaf mattresses are delivered right to your bedroom is that they are never rolled up in a box.
- This helps increase mattress durability – which can be a problem with foam mattresses.
- It also ensures that the mattress hasn’t been rolled up and packaged into plastic for a long period of time, which will help prevent the off-gassing problems that are so common with direct-to-consumer mattresses.
- If you want to know if Loom & Leaf is the best rated mattress for you, check our review of Loom & Leaf mattress.
10. PlushBeds Botanical Bliss - The Best Latex Mattress
PlushBeds has made the Botanical Bliss mattress as an eco-friendly option. Latex is one of the best materials to make environmentally-friendly beds out of, and PlushBeds has really delivered with the Botanical Bliss.
This mattress is also a great option for heavier sleepers who want an all-foam mattress. Latex foam is a lot more durable than memory foam, so this mattress will last customers a long time. Durability is also another checkbox on the eco-friendly checklist, so that is another thing to consider when purchasing this mattress.
Latex is also antimicrobial and hypoallergenic, so this is a great bed for customers who have bad allergies or find themselves getting sick easily from time to time.
Another thing that we love about this bed is that it comes in three different thickness options, so heavier customers can choose the thickest profile in order to ensure that they have plenty of support, where younger or lighter customers can choose a thinner mattress if they would like a bed with a low profile.
This bed has an amazing price point for a latex mattress, but there are some things to remember. You do have to put this bed together, which some customers might find to be annoying. However, you are actually able to rearrange the layers of latex in order to find the comfort level that’s best for you. So, while annoying, the customizability of this mattress as your life circumstances change is honestly pretty cool.
- This bed is going to be silent and give you great motion isolation – so it is amazing for customers who are easily disturbed at night.
- However, if you plan on having sex in this bed, you may not get enough leverage to pull off your favorite sex positions, which is something to keep in mind.
11. The WinkBed - The Best Pillow top Mattress
The WinkBed original is the best pillow top mattress on our list. This is one of the best mattress brands around, but not a lot of people have actually heard of them. This pillowtop mattress is handmade, ensuring that your mattress is going to be high quality and durable, and hopefully last you for many years.
WinkBed uses a three-step engineering process in the construction of their mattress. The top layer has a system that helps to provide decompression support. The decompression support system was developed to provide improved support for spinal alignment. This will help to reduce the risk of back pain and greatly enhances your overall sleep quality.
- The cover of a WinkBed is a TENCEL cover and it is part of the full pillow top system.
- This cover is derived from Eucalyptus plants. This adds more comfort to the mattress but also gives it more breathability.
- This will help ensure that you are staying nice and cool all night long.
- The breathability of the TENCEL cover, along with the specially designed mattress, helps to ensure you sleep cooler at night.
- To discover if this mattress brand is right for you, learn more about WinkBed by checking our review of WinkBed mattresses.
12. Avocado Green Mattress - The Best Organic Mattress
The Avocado Green Mattress blows the competition out of the water when it comes to finding the best organic mattress on the market. Every aspect of this brand and this mattress has the betterment of the planet and people in mind, so if you are conscious about the things that you buy, Avocado is certainly the mattress company you should give your money to.
This award-winning mattress that has been featured in multiple publications. It was a Pinnacle Award Nominee in 2020 and was rated as the best mattress of 2021 by U.S. News. Several other publications have also noted that the Avocado Green Mattress is one of the top options that are currently on the market.
The mattress addresses health concerns that come with some of the other mattresses that are available on the market. The Avocado Green Mattress is a completely natural option that does not include any type of harmful chemicals or toxins. The mattress has undergone several tests to ensure that it is safe and has a significantly lower emission rate than a majority of the competitor options on the market.
Avocado is able to do this by using materials that are specifically designed to take the place of toxic man-made options. For instance, wool is used instead of flame retardants in able to make the mattress naturally fire-resistance. When you unroll this mattress, you will find that there is very little off-gassing.
- The Avocado Green Mattress is handmade in California.
- Precision and care are taken with the construction of each mattress.
- This ensures you only get the best quality product delivered to your door.
- The company also ensures no polyurethane foams are used in the construction of its mattress.
- To learn more about the Avocado Green Mattress and discover if it’s right for you, check our Avocado mattress reviews.
13. Titan by Brooklyn Bedding - The Best Mattress For Heavy People
The Titan from Brooklyn Bedding is a hybrid model. If you need the best mattress for obese people, this should definitely be one of your top contenders. This mattress is very firm and supportive, making it one of the best choices for heavier people on the market.
This mattress has conforming layers on the top, so it is still going to relieve pressure points throughout the body despite being so firm. It is also one of the more cooling mattresses, due to a design that gives great airflow throughout the coils and also includes a very breathable cover.
To further aid in cooling, there is also a layer of cooling gel memory foam. Heavier individuals tend to sleep hotter than smaller individuals, so the cooling capabilities of this mattress are definitely a big plus for heavier people.
Despite being on the firm side and having a coil layer, this mattress is very good at motion isolation. This is a hard balance to get right – but if you sleep with a partner and one of you is easily disturbed, there won’t be a lot of excess motion when one of you gets in and out of bed. This mattress is also responsive enough for sex, making it a great choice for couples.
- This mattress is well-enforced throughout, and the edge support is highly durable.
- This makes it great both for heavier individuals as well as sexually active couples.
- To learn more about the Titan by Brooklyn Bedding and read our full review of the Brooklyn Bedding mattresses.
14. Leesa Legend Mattress - The Best Firm Mattress
Finally, we come to the mattress that is the most firm. This option is a luxurious one, but if you like a firm mattress that is still going to be comfortable – this is going to be the absolute best option for you.
This mattress features an exclusive design that is perfect for improving your sleep. The mattress is also great for heavier customers and provides excellent support for combination sleepers. Whether you constantly turn during the night or have a specific sleeping position that you prefer, this mattress is able to accommodate any sleeping position.
- The Leesa Legend Mattress features superior edge support.
- This gives you a significant enhancement in the overall surface area that is available.
- The motion isolation features of the dual coil system in the mattress ensure couples can also comfortably sleep on the product.
- To learn more about the Leesa Legend Mattress, and to see if this top-rated mattress brand is best for you, don’t miss our Lessa mattress review.
The Best Mattress Buying Guide
Now that you have seen our top 14 best mattresses, take a look at our buying guide if you are still having trouble finding the best mattress for you.
What To Look For In A Mattress?
There are seemingly a million factors in a mattress that you have to take into consideration. Here are the factors that you should focus on while making the best decision for you:
- Price: You will always have to consider your bottom line, so make sure that you are walking into your purchase knowing what your budget is so that you don’t go over it. Make sure to include taxes and accessories in your budget, as well.
- Sleeping Position: Make sure that you know your sleeping position and look for mattresses that cater to the way that you get the best rest.
- Mattress Type: All mattress types have benefits and downsides, and knowing the key differences between the types can help you boil down your options to those that are most likely to match what you’re looking for.
- Contouring: A mattress with good contouring can tailor its cushioning to match the way that the body’s weight and pressure are distributed on the bed. Deep conforming is most often found in memory foam while latex and polyfoams provide more moderate contouring.
- Pressure Relief: Pinch points and pain spots — including the hips, neck, shoulders, and lower back — need proper cushioning to keep you from waking up sore and achy. Materials with enough contouring and softness to accommodate these pressure points can facilitate spinal alignment, joint support, and overall comfort.
- Motion Isolation: On a mattress with poor motion isolation, it’s easy to be woken up by a partner moving on the other side of the bed. For that reason, motion isolation is an important consideration for couples. Foam mattresses tend to deliver the highest degree of motion isolation.
- Edge Support: While it’s normal for a mattress to have its weakest point near its perimeter, that doesn’t mean that it has to feel unstable in that area. Hybrid and latex mattresses usually have the best edge support while foam beds are weaker in this category.
- Temperature: If you’re worried about sleeping hot and waking up in a sweat, then a mattress with good temperature regulation can promote solid, consistent sleep. Because of how it closely hugs the body and retains heat, memory foam tends to sleep the hottest. Latex sleeps cool as do most, but not all, hybrids.
- Noise: A loud mattress can interrupt sleep and be a real bother. Coils in a mattress are the main cause of this, but modern hybrids tend to avoid significant noise. That said, foam and latex beds are the best bet for a noise-free mattress.
Finding Your Perfect Firmness Level
To find your perfect firmness level, you will need to consider the following:
Weight: Heavier sleepers need a firmer mattress.
Preference: Even if you are ordering online, go ahead and try a few mattresses in the store to see which firmness is right for you.
What Is The Best Mattress Material For You?
Make sure to do the research to find the best materials for you, but here are a few considerations.
- Latex vs Memory Foam
- Cotton vs Wool
- Hybrids vs All Foam
- Hypoallergenic materials
When you are looking at different materials, you will need to see which materials fit your lifestyle as well as your health. You should also look at your circumstances and environment. For instance, memory foam is going to be warmer than latex foam. Latex foam is going to be more durable, but more expensive. All organic eco-friendly materials are better for your health, but they are also going to put a lot more strain on your pocketbook.
Chris was a psychiatrist and neurologist with board certification in sleep medicine Clinical Associate Professor at the University of California. For over 10 years, he served and helped patients at Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital with their sleeping disorders.
After suffered from sleep disorders for years, Chris has been passionate about sleep health ever since. He wants to help others sleep better and wanted to make the world of sleep easy to understand for everyday people.