Are you a side sleeper? Do you need a good pillow for side sleepers? Not everyone can use the same type of pillow because some of us sleep on our back, while some side sleepers and many others also sleep on their stomachs.
A suitable pillow is the one that helps prevent neck pain, and keep your posture perfect even while you sleep. In this article, we are going to tell you the top 10 best pillows for side sleepers.
Several pillows from different brands have swamped the market. So, choosing the best and the most comfortable side sleeper pillow isn’t an easy task. This is the reason we decided to come up with a review of the ten best side sleeper pillow sets.
We have experts who have tried the pillow for side sleepers and have created a list based on its support, comfort, and much more.
So, without further ado, let’s dive in to learn about the best pillows for side sleepers.
You might think that posture isn’t a factor you need to take into consideration during sleep. However, if you are a side sleeper, you have to keep the neck, head, and back aligned to prevent stiffness and pain.
In case you sleep on a worn-out or old pillow, it can lead to sore necks, headaches, and back or shoulder pain. At times, you might also experience arm numbness.
Hence, you have to make sure that you have chosen the right one for the side sleeper. It should have an appropriate firmness and height to keep the spine and neck in alignment. This ensures you get better sleep at night.
What is the Best Pillow for side Sleepers?
Here is the best pillow for side sleepers in 2021.
- Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Cloud: Best Memory Foam Pillow
- The Saatva Pillow: Best for Combination Sleepers
- Bear Pillow: Best Cooling Pillow
- Layla Sleep Pillow: Best for Shoulder Pain
- Coop Home Goods Original Pillow: Best adjustable pillow for combination sleepers
- Nolah AirFoam: Best Memory Foam Alternative Pillow
- Purple Harmony: Best Latex Pillow
- Eli & Elm Side-Sleeper Pillow: Best for Neck Pain
- Brooklinen Down Pillow: Best Down
- Leesa Hybrid Pillow: Best Overall
Best Pillow For Side Sleepers - Reviewed
1. Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Cloud: Best Memory Foam Pillow
If you are a side sleeper and don’t get that enough moldable memory foam feel, Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Cloud is the best choice for you. It is ergonomically contoured to support and cushion, the head, shoulder, and neck.
The pillow has a super slow response to pressure. So, you sink in deeply into the material. It has a great 6-inch profile and has a medium-firm feel. Thus, it is the ideal side sleeping pillow.
The memory foam’s readiness to trap heat might be a cause of concern for many. However, you should not worry. The pillow comes with two gel pads that prevent it from warming up while you take your nap. It keeps both the side of the pillow cool enough. You can remove and wash the cooling cover.
Some people find it to be a little heavy at first, but it can soften pretty easily. So, if you are a side sleeper who wants a cooler way to sleep, you are going to love Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Cloud.
It is perfect for sleepers who want a lofty memory foam pillow for keeping them cool during the night. The pillow comes at a price range of $170-$200. This might be a little more expensive than the other, but it is worth it. It is backed by a 5-year warranty.
2. The Saatva Pillow: Best for Combination Sleepers
The next one on our list is The Saatva Pillow. One of the good things about these pillows for side sleepers is that it comes with an adjustable loft.
This is the best choice for all combination sleepers out there. It will support you in every position. You are surely going to enjoy the softness of Saatva. It offers softness and cushioning to your neck and shoulder. So, it is an excellent choice to relieve neck pain.
The pillow has a unique dual-layer design where the inner pillow is tucked inside the outer pillow. It complements each other for offering balanced support. The outer pillow contains a down-alternative that makes it soft to touch. This makes it fluffy.
Sure, the pillow can support all positions, but stomach sleepers might find it to be a little lofty. The cost of the pillow ranges between $145 and $165. It comes with a 1-year warranty.
3. Bear Pillow: Best Cooling Pillow
Are you the kind of side sleeper who heats up during the night? Then introduce yourself to Bear Pillow.
Starting from the internal fill to the cover’s fabric, everything has been created keeping hot sleepers like you in mind. The pillow is covered in Phase Change Materials. This is an icy-cool material giving the pillow its cooling effect.
Bear Pillow is filled with ventilated foam to improve airflow through the pillow. You might be aware of the fact that foam can trap body heat and store it. Hence, a sleeper can warm up throughout the night. However, the ventilated channels will keep you feeling cool and breezy.
This is not all. It is capped with two mesh panels that get the air flowing. The pillow has medium firmness and facilitates spinal alignment when you lie on your side. It comes with a price range of $95 and $115. The company provides a 100-night trial period.
4. Layla Sleep Pillow: Best for Shoulder Pain
The Layla Sleep Pillow is filled with fibres sourced from Kapok trees’ seed pods. So, you have a fluffy and all-natural fill that is free of pesticides and various other chemicals. The fill is airier and softer than cotton. Its fill offers a cosy balance between support and softness. The memory foam fill makes it conform to pressure while Kapok adds to its fluffiness.
The Layla Kapor Pillow is woven into the cotton cover fabric for drawing heat away from the head. So, you can have a cool sleep.
However, what makes it the best side sleeper pillow is the fact that it has a lofty-profile of 7-inches. It holds your head in a neutral alignment with the spine. Hence, it supports a healthy posture. Be that as it may, it is one of the loftiest pillows you will ever come across.
It cost between $99 and $119. This is supported by a 5-year warranty and a 120-night trial period.
5. Coop Home Goods Original Pillow: Best Adjustable Pillow For Combination Sleepers
The next pillow on our list comes with an adjustable loft. Coop Home Goods Original Pillow contains a proprietary blend of gel-infused, shredded memory foam. It is accompanied by polyester microfibers. To add or remove fill, just unzip it.
Also, you can get the fill-in bulk if you have to replenish your supply. Coop Home Goods Original Pillow’s customizable design makes it suitable for an extensive range of sleepers. In case your loft preference changes every night, you can change the thickness and feel of the pillow.
Coop Home Goods Original Pillow keeps you cool as there is decent airflow through the pillow. The shredded foam helps with better air circulation. The price is less than $90 for all sizes. It offers a 100-night sleep trial and a 5-year warranty.
6. Nolah AirFoam: Best Memory Foam Alternative Pillow
Do you love a foam feel but don’t want that deep sink into the material? Nolah AirFoam can be a good choice for you.
The pillows for side sleepers have been created using springy support. Usually, foam pillows offer a deep sink and have a slow response to pressure but not this. The pillow feels little like latex. The pillows are lightweight and have a quick response to pressure.
Side sleepers preferring to rest on top of the pillow rather than sinking down can opt for Nolah’s pillow. It has a medium-firm feel and a lofty 4-inch profile. These facilitate neutral spine alignment.
It is priced at $99 and comes with a 120-night trial period.
7. Purple Harmony: Best Latex Pillow
People who like to have a pillow with bounce should go for Purple Harmony. It has a quick response to pressure. The pillow’s combination of hyper-elastic polymer and latex offers the springy support you are looking for. In case you don’t want memory foam as it has a slow response to pressure, look no further than Purple Harmony.
The pillow’s fill adds to its lightness. In case you are a hot sleeper, you should know that every part of the pillow is ventilated. The price of the pillows is $159. They come with a 100-night trial period and a 1-year warranty.
8. Eli & Elm Side-Sleeper Pillow: Best for Neck Pain
If you want to treat neck pain, Eli & Elm Side-Sleeper Pillow is right up your alley. Even though we are listing it under the best pillow for side sleepers, it is also great for back sleeping. Albeit, it has been stuffed to a lofty build, sleepers can adjust the internal feel.
The fill is a blend of latex and down-alternative. This gives a supportive yet plush feel. The pillow has a boomerang shape, and this is what makes it the best for side sleeping. However, it might look like a pillowcase. It is priced at $99 and comes with a 45-days trial period.
9. Brooklinen Down Pillow: Best Down
Since Brooklinen has down-fill, it is naturally soft. However, unlike other down pillows, it doesn’t sink deeply. The best part about this pillow is it is available in 3 firmness levels. It has a chambered design with softer down towards the surface.
The pillow has a higher loft. Though the feathers and down compresses it a bit, the pillow offers enough cushioning.
Down pillows are usually pricey, but Brooklinen Down Pillow is available at $120 for all sizes. The brand offers a 365-night sleep trial and also a lifetime of the warranty.
10. Leesa Hybrid Pillow: Best Overall
If you want the pillow to have the best of all, Leesa Hybrid Pillow is just what you need. The adjustable design gives you continuous support. The best part about the pillow is that it is reversible which features a cooler side and quilted-side. You will also find an additional insert in between the layers. Remove the layers to adjust the height.
Best Pillow of Side Sleepers Buying Guide
If you don’t know how to choose a pillow for a side sleeper, keep reading to know things you need to consider to choose one.
How to Choose a Pillow for Side Sleepers?
Side sleepers usually go for a firm and thick pillow in comparison to stomach sleepers. Make sure that the one you choose keeps your neck and head aligned when you are lying down. No matter what is the fill, foam, or down, it will work as long as the pillow is thick enough for supporting the neck.
Don’t forget to check the care instructions. There are some pillows that you cannot wash at all. Again, there are some that have a machine washable cover. In case you are sensitive to allergens, you should look for a machine-washable pillow.
It is also important to consider your sleeping style before choosing a pillow. In case you are a restless sleeper, you need to look for plusher options that will easily change shape. In case you stay on your side all night, a solid pillow with memory foam will easily support your head in a position.
This will keep you asleep.
Other important things that you need to consider are,
- Support: Check how well it maintains an even surface for the neck and head
- Loft: It is one of the most important factors to consider. The pillow has to offer enough cushioning without making it sink.
- Firmness Level: Mid-level firmness is the best for side sleepers.
- Shape: A few materials might compress over time, making it less comfortable. Fluff the pillows regularly. But latex and solid foam hold its shape.
- Pressure relief: The pillow should be supportive and contour with the body.
Pillow Materials those are Best for Side Sleepers
We have discussed the best pillow materials for side sleepers, below.
- Memory Foam: It feels soft as soon as it comes into contact with body heat. The material conforms to the neck and head.
- Feather: Albeit, it is airy and light, the feather has a denser and coarser feel. So, you won’t sink deeply.
- Buckwheat: This forms a supportive and firm frame. Add or remove kernels to adjust the loft.
- Latex: When the sappy extract from the rubber trees is molded into foam, it contours to the body. However, it feels highly responsive.
- Polyfoam: It can mold to the body too, but feels responsive. This doesn’t have the same deep contour as memory foam.
- Down: This is an exceptionally light and airy material that facilitates insulation.
Tips to Clean Pillows
- The first thing you need to do is to check the care instructions. You can find it on the pillow or the brand’s website. Make sure that you follow these instructions.
- It is better not to wash a pillow that will be spot cleaned. If you do so, it can lead to bumps and clumping. Hence, it will become impossible to sleep on it. Latex pillows and memory foam usually come with a do-not-wash warning.
- You should use a stain remover that will help you to clean a spot gently that you cannot otherwise wash.
- Rather than washing, you can sanitize and plump the pillows in a dryer.
- Using a washable or removable pillow protector keeps the pillow clean for a longer time.
Where can I Find a Pillow for Side Sleepers?
In case you want to buy a pillow for a side sleeper, you can get it from the manufacturer directly. This ensures you qualify for a longer sleep trial and other incentives. However, if you get it from a third-party seller, the price might not be that high.
What firmness is best for side sleepers?
Mid-level firmness is the best firmness level for side sleepers.
What Size are Pillows Available?
Different sizes of pillows are available in the market, and you should get one that suits you the best.