Buying an RV mattress topper isn’t as easy as it seems. Every camper goes through the same dilemma. You can’t really know whether a mattress topper is worth it until you’ve already bought it.
The choices are endless. Which brings up the question: Which is the best RV mattress topper? Well, we’re here to find out. But first, let’s learn more about RV mattress pads and toppers.
In this article, we’re going to review the following Mattress Topper for RV:
- Editor’s Choice – Best Price Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Runner-Up – LUCID Memory Ventilated Mattress Topper
- Best For Hypoallergenic – Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Best For Cooling Effect – Best Price Mattress Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Best For Comfort – ELuxury Supply RV Mattress Pad
- Best Memory Foam – Dreamfoam Bedding Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
- Best Therapeutic Topper- Best Price Mattress RV Trifold Mattress Topper
- Best For Durability – Premium Plus Hypoallergenic Quilted RV Camper Topper
- Best For Maintenance – Best Price Premium Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Best For Breathability – Zinus Swirl Gel Memory Foam Air Flow Topper
What is an RV Mattress Topper?
Did you accidentally buy a mattress that’s too firm? Tencel cover split open? Or are you just not happy with the general feel of your mattress? Then you’re the type of person who could use a mattress topper.
A mattress topper is a special pad for your mattress. Each RV mattress pad has its own characteristics. But normally, they are used to correct the firmness of mattresses and provide a softer cover. These toppers can be made of multiple or a single layer of memory foam.
Different Types of RV Mattress Topper:
Benefits of Using an RV Mattress Topper:
Hypoallergenic and Anti-Bacterial:
Many times, people opt for RV mattress pads solely because they have allergies. The mattress you have may contain a chemical that you are allergic to. A topper will reduce the allergies you get. And it protects your mattress from bed bugs, bacteria, and microbes.
If your mattress is too firm, a mattress topper can fix that. Toppers that are soft will make you feel like you’re sleeping in the clouds. Get a pillow top mattress pad with a cotton or polyester cover. They will help you sleep better and reduce back and neck pain.
The health benefits of a good topper depend on what it features. Memory foam toppers can be applied on top of non-memory foam mattresses. In this way, you get the benefits of spine support, body contouring, and better sleep. Even just the benefit of better sleep can make a huge difference in your lifestyle.
Just as you can make your mattress softer, you can also use a topper to make it firmer. Firmer toppers can be bought to correct the firmness of your mattress. These provide support to your back and spine and usually have more than one layer.
If it’s your first-time buying mattresses, then you’re likely to make a mistake. You may accidentally buy a mattress that’s too firm for you, then try to return it. If not, a mattress topper should do the job. It saves money, and you can even use it on old mattresses that have lost their firmness.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Mattress Topper For Your RV:
You’ll need to decide which material you want in your topper. The two best ones are memory foam and fiberfill. Latex is a lesser common, but it’s great if you want extra ventilation. Cooling gel foams are twice as effective as foams with ventilation holes. And always make sure you’re not allergic to any of the materials.
Take measurements of your mattress and buy a topper accordingly. For bunk beds in RVs, a short queen-sized topper is a standard. If you’re buying a topper that wraps around the mattress, then buy one that is at least 18 inches deep.
This is something that you need to decide. Most people find comfort in a medium-firm topper. If you bought the wrong mattress, then try to find the correct firmness for yourself. Usually, firm toppers provide more support and relieve pain. They aren’t absolutely necessary if you prefer a soft surface. A softer topper gives you a hug-like feel.
Mattress toppers aren’t meant to last longer than mattresses. However, many can have up to 5 years of warranty. Latex toppers are more durable than memory foam ones. For fiberfill mattresses, the fill may poke out or the cover might rip.
Memory foam mattress toppers mostly cost between $60 and $90. Those that use gel can go as high as $120. Feather fill toppers are as costly as $350, and some even go as high as $700. Microfiber toppers range from $50 to up to $120. And the cotton ones cost around the same.
Our Top Picks
1. Editor’s Choice – Best Price Memory Foam Mattress Topper
For anyone that owns a short queen bed, this is the best RV mattress topper. For starters, the topper is made of 100% polyester. It feels soft and smooth to the touch. So, it’s suitable for anyone who has sensitive skin or a rash problem.
This memory foam topper is excellent for RVs and motorhomes. It fits in a small-sized queen bed frame. The Best Price topper features a single 1.5-inch layer of memory foam, followed by a high-density support layer. Overall, the entire topper is about 4 inches high. It’s easy to wash and clean, and the cover is removable.
And if you’re concerned about safety, then the Best Price topper has you covered. This mattress topper is CertiPUR-US certified. So, it doesn’t contain any toxic metals, flame retardants, or dyes. Moreover, the topper doesn’t off-gas upon opening.
- Soft and delicate. For sensitive skin.
- Highly supportive. Maintains posture.
- Safe to breathe and sleep.
- Fits most bed frames used in RVs and motorhomes.
- Easy to remove, wash, replace, and reuse.
- No flame retardants.
- Not a fire-resistant.
2. Runner-Up – LUCID Memory Ventilated Mattress Topper
If you like more foam than a topper, then the LUCID should be your only choice. This is a thinner memory foam topper that promotes airflow and cooling. It’s only 2 inches high and features a single layer of open-cell memory foam.
Open-cell memory foam is the kind that does not retain body impressions for long. This means that the topper reshapes according to your position. However, this also means that the topper promotes airflow and ventilation. The LUCID RV mattress pad uses evenly-spaced ventilation holes that keep you cool all night long.
Apart from that, the LUCID memory foam topper also promotes plushness and comfort. It’s a semi-pillow top that gives both support and comfort. Being visco-elastic, the LUCID topper inherits some of the features of your memory. It’s the best RV mattress topper for use on your regular foam.
- Inherits features of your mattress due to short height.
- Not too firm and neither too sinkable.
- Regularly contours to your body’s shape.
- Highly ventilated, keeping you cool.
- No heavy metals or toxic dyes used.
- Off-gasses within the first 48 hours. Perfectly fine afterward.
3. Best For Hypoallergenic – Zinus Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Green tea extract has always been used to detoxify mattresses. This ingredient removes odor and bacteria and is a natural antibiotic for mattress toppers. And the Zinus topper makes excellent use of green tea along with castor oil.
The Zinus is the best RV mattress topper for its antimicrobial properties. This mattress topper not only uses green tea extract but also castor seed oil to remove bacteria and odor. And as for odor from VOC emissions, the Zinus topper is CertiPUR-US certified. Which means that the VOC emissions are less than 0.5 ppm. Of course, there is always that new mattress smell in the beginning.
Other than that, this topper contains two layers. The first is a cool and relieving memory foam layer. And the second is the high-density support foam. Combined, the Zinus provides both loft and support. You’ll feel an optimal balance of firmness with this topper.
- Highly antimicrobial and hypoallergenic.
- No odor. Even VOC emissions are low.
- Provides great support and comfort.
- Free from harmful flame retardants and dyes.
- It relieves pressure just like a memory foam mattress.
- Takes 48 hours to fully expand. Too much time to fully adjust.
4. Best For Cooling Effect – Best Price Mattress Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Here’s another RV mattress pad from Best Price. The thickness isn’t the only thing that differentiates it from the previous product. Rather, this topper is infused with memory foam gel. The gel acts as a cooling agent and wicks the temperature away from the center. So the center of the mattress won’t feel hot and you won’t get sweaty.
The topper is 2.5 inches in diameter and contains a single layer of memory foam. This foam has multiple ventilation holes that only adds to the cooling effect. As usual, the Best Price topper is CertiPUR-US certified. So it doesn’t contain any toxic substances. And it maintains indoor air quality quite well too.
Best Price’s 2.5-inch memory foam topper is recommended for the cooling effect. It also features other benefits such as motion isolation and pressure relief. It’s the best RV mattress topper for its comfort and softness. It’s a short queen sized topper that fits your bed frame.
- Keeps the body cool and ventilated.
- Non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and antimicrobial.
- Relieves stress from pressure points.
- Highly responsive and buoyant.
- Takes longer to break-in.
5. Best For Comfort – ELuxury Supply RV Mattress Pad
When it comes to a mattress pad, comfort trumps all. The eLuxury is a special pillowtop mattress pad that puts all of its focus on comfort and luxury. This pad is made of 100% cotton, so it feels pretty familiar to your skin. Newer materials may be more efficient, but they can cause allergic reactions and rashes.
This mattress pad uses unique Revoloft technology. Revolt is a fiberfill material that feels and looks just like regular down feathers. Except they don’t poke or cause allergies. Moreover, the fill has a thread count of 160 and has baffle box type double-needle stitching. So the special Revoloft fill won’t move around inside the topper.
eLuxury’s mattress topper is the type that is used by Marriott hotels and luxury residences. This mattress pad is the best RV mattress topper if luxury is your concern. Furthermore, this topper relieves pressure.
- Discourages allergies.
- Uses pure cotton.
- Feels just like duck down feathers.
- More durable and secure. Seams do not split or tear.
- Removes stress from various pressure points.
- Highly comfortable and plush.
- Not able to soften extra firm mattresses.
6. Best Memory Foam – Dreamfoam Bedding Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
Another pad infused with gel, the Dreamfoam is a cool and durable mattress topper for your RV. Made with a single layer of memory foam, the Dreamfoam is the best RV mattress topper for its cooling. It features a gel swirl design that absorbs heat. The gel works to keep the body cool and wick away excess moisture.
Dreamfoam’s topper is about 2 inches thick. It fits snugly on a short queen mattress. It’s perfect for use in RVs to make your nights more comfortable. It features all the regularities of memory foam. This topper lets you feel the body contouring effects of the mattress beneath. And it even adds to the pressure relief.
It’s a soft, cushiony RV mattress pad that adds comfort to an otherwise firm mattress. To add to all that, the Dreamfoam is also CertiPUR-US certified. This means the mattress does not off-gas and has no toxic chemicals.
- Takes away all heat from the center.
- No VOC emissions, save for those on opening.
- Relieves pressure and isolates motion.
- Soft, comfortable, and plush.
- Expands within a day.
- No support layers. It does not give loft to the body.
7. Best Therapeutic Topper- Best Price Mattress RV Trifold Mattress Topper
Yet another topper from Best Price makes it to our listing. This is a relatively thicker topper, with 4 inches of premium quality foam. Best Price has always produced some of the industry’s best RV mattress toppers.
This topper has three layers: the cover, the memory foam, and the support layer. The cover is made of poly-jacquard and it feels soft and delicate to touch. It gives space for your body to breathe and reduces perspiration. Then there is the 1.5-inch memory foam layer that offers stress relief and body contouring. The contouring effect specifically is therapeutic and physiologically relieving.
Next is the 2.5-inch support layer made of denser foam. The Best Price mattress pad is also CertiPUR-US certified. Which means it does not contain any harmful chemicals. These include mercury, lead, titanium, and other heavy transition metals.
- Supportive and comfortable.
- Special cover that feels soft and plush.
- No harmful chemicals, metals, or VOC emissions.
- Relieves stress and gives loft.
- Ventilated and breathable cover.
- The storage cover is a one-time use only package.
8. Best For Durability – Premium Plus Hypoallergenic Quilted RV Camper Topper
Baffle box stitched, this quilted RV topper from Everest Supply is best for RVs and campers. It’s made of polyester and is the thickest mattress pad in our listing. This topper is 18 inches deep and acts as a cover for your mattress. It’s made of polyester microfiber fabric that is both breathable and hypoallergenic.
Moreover, the Everest premium pad has an elastic skirt that wraps around your mattress. It anchors securely on four points and prevents shifting during sleep. The fabric used at the bottom is not made of polypropylene. So there is no need to worry about ripping the fabric during cleaning. It’s the best RV mattress topper when it comes to safety and durability.
This topper has about 15 oz. of filling every square yard. And the filling is baffle box stitched so it doesn’t move around. Other than that, the Everest is hypoallergenic.
- It does not rip or lose quality after multiple washes.
- Fits snugly on a short queen-sized mattress.
- Hypoallergenic and antimicrobial.
- The filling does not poke out or move around.
- Highly breathable. Cools down the sleeper.
- No memory foam. It only uses a fiberfill.
9. Best For Maintenance – Best Price Premium Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Another topper from Everest, this one is pretty similar to the previous pad. It’s quilted and filled with a 100% genuine fiberfill. It also features an elasticized skirt and four anchor straps that help keep the cover in place.
Soft and plush polyester is used to fashion the inner fabric. This gives you a more comfortable sleeping experience. The polyester keeps you cool and ventilated all through the night. The Everest Premium Pad is quilted with diamond-shaped sections. So the filling inside stays put and doesn’t shift to one side. The ease of handling makes it one of the best RV mattress toppers.
Speaking of handling, with the Everest topper, you don’t need to worry about washing. This pad is 100% machine washable. The bottom fabric does not use polypropylene. So it won’t damage the inner fabric when washed.
- Soft and plushy. It does not irritate the skin.
- Keeps the body ventilated all through the night.
- Easier to handle and wash. Fabric does not rip.
- Fits securely on RV bunks.
- Stretches all over the bed.
- It does not have the typical features of memory foam.
10. Best For Breathability – Zinus Swirl Gel Memory Foam Air Flow Topper
Here’s a slightly thicker mattress topper from Best Price. This topper is about 3 inches deep and is made from the finest memory foam. The main focus of this topper is towards providing adequate ventilation. This topper does not have a cover, so you’ll need to use your own cover on your mattress.
This Best Price topper only has a single layer of memory foam. The foam has small ventilation holes that allow air to pass through. The holes are evenly spaced, so you feel supported and ventilated at the same time. Unfortunately, this mattress does not use gel. So the ventilation holes are your only source of cooling.
Other than that, pressure relief, motion isolation, and body contouring are all featured by this topper. It’s also CertiPUR-US certified, so you can feel secure when using this. Even pets and children can come near the topper.
- Removes sweat from your body.
- Thick and supportive.
- Perfect for back and spine posture.
- Safe for pets and children.
- Inherits qualities of your main mattress.
- No cover. May irritate the skin if used bare.
RV Mattress pads have changed the way we use mattresses. Now you’ll feel more comfortable purchasing a mattress if you know you can change the firmness anytime. A mattress topper not only improves sleep but can actually benefit your health in the long run.
Of the 10 mattress toppers we reviewed, the Best Price Memory Foam Mattress Topper is the best RV mattress topper. It’s thick and supportive and is good for your spine. This topper can also be used on older mattresses that have lost their softness. Also, even overweight people can use the topper to prevent any sinking in the mattress underneath.
So make the right decision today and revamp your mattress with a topper!