A mattress is one of the most critical things in your bedroom. When you do your research and buy the right mattress, it can greatly elevate your sleeping experience. There are several studies that have shown a mattress does affect how you sleep. An old mattress can also cause your spine to be misaligned at night, leading to back pain and a poor night’s sleep.
Learn more about how much does a mattress weigh on average, and what to consider when looking at the weight of a specific mattress.
Read more: How to choose a mattress in 7 steps
When buying a mattress, one thing that a lot of people do not take a look at is the weight. Learning how much a mattress weigh should actually be an important part of the shopping process. The heavier the mattress, the harder it will be to handle – but if it is in the same place for a long time, then weight may not be such a big hassle.
Why Is It Important To Know How Much A Mattress Weighs?
Most people never take a look at the weight of a mattress when they buy this type of furniture. You checked the firmness scale of the mattress to ensure it will support your body but never thought that looking at the actual weight of the mattress is important.
A queen size mattress weight, or any other mattress size, does not directly affect its overall quality or how supportive it is. Instead, there are other factors that the weight of the mattress will have an impact on.
Some of the reasons why you might want to consider the weight of a mattress include:
- When the mattress is delivered, you will need to take it inside and set it up. Whether it is a bed-in-a-box or a standard mattress, the weight tells you just how much effort will be needed to get the mattress into your room. If it weighs a lot, you may need to get someone to help you out. When you know this beforehand, you can ensure that person is close when the delivery company drops the mattress off.
- When you move furniture in your room or clean your room, the weight of your mattress can also play a role. If the mattress is very heavy, then pushing your bed to a different position can be difficult. It also makes the process of cleaning underneath your bed harder.
- The foundation you will use with the mattress may also have a maximum supported weight. If the weight of the mattress, along with your own weight, exceeds what the foundation can support, then it can cause issues. This may lead to reduced durability of the mattress foundation. It may also break or become noisy.
How Much Does A Mattress Weigh On Average?
The weight of a mattress depends on a few things. When asking how much does a king size mattress weigh, the answer will be different from a queen size mattress or twin in most cases. With this in mind, the mattress size is one of the first things to consider when looking at the weight.
It is not only the size of the mattress that contributes to its weight, however. The materials that are used inside the mattress also affects how much it will weigh. An innerspring system with foam at the top, which is usually referred to as a hybrid mattress, will obviously have a larger weight than a memory foam mattress with only three layers of material.
The average weight range for the most mattress is between 50 pounds and 150 pounds. Buying a 150 pounds mattress makes it much more difficult to get your bed set up and to move furniture around, compared to a mattress that weighs a mere 50 pounds. Some mattresses weigh less or more than this average range too.
Here is a breakdown of the most popular mattress sizes and the common weigh ranges you will find:
- A full-size mattress will generally have a minimum weight of about 50 pounds. Some options, depending on the brand and materials, can weigh up to 60 pounds.
- When asking how much a queen size mattress weighs, the answer can vary a lot. These mattresses can weigh about 120 pounds when only basic materials are used. When high-density foams are added, along with other unique features, the mattress may weigh up to 160 pounds.
- A king size mattress can get quite heavy. The minimum weight for most king size mattress is about 130 pounds, but some of these products can weigh up to around 180 pounds.
- The popular California king size mattress has a very similar weight to a standard king size mattress. Thus, the answer will generally be the same as asking how much does a king size mattress weigh. The range is usually between 130 pounds and 180 pounds.
It is also important to note that the accumulation of certain substances in a mattress may cause it to gain some weight over time.
The Benefits Of Choosing A Lighter Weight Mattress
Many people prefer to choose a mattress with a lighter weight. There are a few reasons why this is something you should consider.
First of all, a lighter mattress is easier to carry into your room and get onto your foundation. It also makes the process of cleaning your room easier, as your bed will not feel too heavy to move around. A thin mattress is a great option for this.
Additionally, also consider shipping. When you ship heavy objects, the shipping fees involved may be high. A lighter weight mattress might help to reduce the shipping costs that are charged when you place an order for the mattress.
Your mattress affects how you sleep. It can also have an impact on how you move your furniture and how much effort it takes to clean your room. Learning how much does a mattress weigh can help you get a better idea of how heavy your bed will be. This also tells you how much effort it will take to get the mattress indoors and set it up.
Chris was a psychiatrist and neurologist with board certification in sleep medicine Clinical Associate Professor at the University of California. For over 10 years, he served and helped patients at Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital with their sleeping disorders.
After suffered from sleep disorders for years, Chris has been passionate about sleep health ever since. He wants to help others sleep better and wanted to make the world of sleep easy to understand for everyday people.